Security 're-check' on the return flight

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a question pertaining to the return flight from Europe / international back to the US-entry airport.

Once you have passed Customs, and are now needing to go through the Security check to go to connecting gate:
- is there any difference whether you go to the checkpoint you're directed to by airport staff, versus going 'outside' and then re-entering the terminal at the normal Security points one passes through when first arriving at the airport?

Our last experience this past November, upon returning to Newark from Paris, was to wait a ridiculously long time for the Security check after Customs. They had 2 stations for about 200 people, compared to the other areas that had several stations with few people waiting.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:39 AM

You are asking us to guess, and my guess is that if you can get away from the ordinary flow of pax that is under the control of agents right there, and reenter at a location of your choice, it should work as long as you have the boarding pass and ID that everybody else needs to show.

But hey - it's a guess, and each location may be different.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:46 AM

It is a guess...but what if you have a four or five hour layover...you've cleared US immigration and US customs so you're officially legally in the USA...

Now I know how it works at JFK's American airlines terminal....after clearing immigration, waiting for your baggage and then clearing customs, there is a desk where you re-check luggage (BTW and this is very very important. If you've picked up booze at duty free shops on the European side, you must places it in your checked luggage at this point, otherwise you won't be able to clear security for the domestic flight)...at that point, you're in the American Airlines terminal and can do whatever you want....if you have a boarding pass for the domestic flight you will have to go upstairs through security back to the departure gate or if you're flights are spaced far enough ahead, you can do whatever you want outside the airport. I would presume it works the same way at EWR.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:57 AM

I've flown back to the US through Newark, and I think I did go outside and come back in, just like anyone would who was just arriving. I had a long wait and wanted some fresh air. I don't recall anyone directing me to any particular security place, though.

Newark is a funny place, as I recall, after you recheck your bag, you have to wait in some long line that is really confusing (there are several of them and the flow isn't clear), and after that, you are kind of in the other part of the airport and can do whatever you want. Which is where I went outside and came back.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

We don't check bags, and my irritation was based on <b>not</b> having a long layover (I mean, it was around 2.5 hours but the Security took well over an hour!). I figure that no one knows that this isn't our destination airport, and we'll just look like we're leaving. The other Security agents will see a boarding pass and won't know (or care) that it isn't an originating flight. Also, isn't this what smokers would do (exit to the outdoors, then re-enter)..?
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 02:05 PM

Dallas was a nightmare when we came through last December, even though we had priority status (what is that supposed to do, anyway?). There were long, long lines with very rushed people, some of whom didn't speak English or understand what they were supposed to do about shoes. It was a real, hard to navigate when you're exhausted.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 02:31 PM

Of all the airports I have had a connecting flight, you could go outside and return through any security point. I have even left the DFW airport and returned for my connecting flight.
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 02:51 PM

In Miami, after going through Immigration &amp; rechecking bags, you HAVE to go outside the secure area &amp; then back &amp; go through the TSA security check just as if you had just driven up to the airport to catch a flight. Therefore if you have the time I can't imagine why you couldn't go off-site if you want.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

I'm feeling confirmation about my future 'back-up' plan. Not talking about going 'off-site' or leaving the airport, just stepping outside, and coming in through the front door to pass through 'normal' security check. Definitely sounds doable, and will remember this next time there is a bottleneck between Int'l and connecting flights. Thanks!
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 03:39 PM

You are by default OUTSIDE after you exit customs. It doesn't matter which security lines you use to get back to the terminal.

If you were taking Continental, at EWR, they are three sets of security lines at Terminal C. Most people exiting customs only know to use the ones closest to them, but there are two other sets on the &quot;right&quot; side of the terminal. Those will have signs saying for gates C80-99 and C101-115. Use those instead of the one for C120-139.

At some airports, you have no choice, like ATL. You have to go through one set of security after customs to ride the inter-terminal train.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, rkkwan... you must be up and about these days, that's great!