Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Unbelievable July fare on Air France (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/unbelievable-july-fare-on-air-france-428457/)

rightted May 4th, 2004 01:28 PM

Unbelievable July fare on Air France

Dublin to Toronto (via Paris) in July, as hard has it may be to believable, 87 pounds. Roundtrip. Can hardly believe it myself.

WillTravel May 4th, 2004 01:40 PM

What site did you book this from? What were your dates?

Congratulations if this is for your own trip.

StephenG May 4th, 2004 01:57 PM

Why would the price be in English pounds? Dublin (euros) to Paris (euros) to Toronto ( can $$ ) on Air France (euros).??

KS452 May 4th, 2004 03:41 PM

If you indeed did get this fare, I think it can be chalked up as a system glitch. I'm a skeptic and will believe it only when I see the link. Sounds like you've been tipping the Bushmills a wee bit too much and are imagining things.

francophile03 May 4th, 2004 07:18 PM

Yes, about the fare you quoted, is it just converted into your local currency?
You found this fare on the airline's website?

rightted May 5th, 2004 09:39 AM

It's in pounds because it was through expedia.co.uk. I rarely use expedia, and tried it on the off chance I might find something.

I thought it was a glitch, too, so I went to Air France's site, and while the fare wasn't quite as good, it was only 235 pounds for 2.

I couldn't believe it. I'd been looking for a couple of months, and found nothing for less than 400 pounds each, and most were 500-600 pounds.

rightted May 5th, 2004 09:41 AM

Dates were out on July 6, back on July 15. The only problem is a tight transfer in Paris on the way out, about an hour. Since we're just on holiday, I didn't care. So we're not going to check any luggage, as we plan to stock up on everything while we're in the US. Only flying into Canada, then driving south.

WillTravel May 5th, 2004 09:53 AM

You were really, really lucky. Nothing like that is available on the Expedia.co.uk web site now. Have a good trip.

rightted May 5th, 2004 10:07 AM

I keep waiting to get an e-mail from expedia saying it was all a mistake. In the meantime, I'm going to go out and play with my extra 800 pounds.

WillTravel May 5th, 2004 10:24 AM

You could phone and confirm your tickets - I would. Maybe also check with your credit card company to ensure the charge went through. Maybe it's not necessary, but it would make me feel better!

Margie May 5th, 2004 10:30 AM

I have heard of glitches like this, but I have never been lucky enough to have gotten one myself. From what I have heard though, you are entitled to the posted fare - glitch or not. Did you receive confirmation e-mails etc. ? Print out whatever you have that shows the fare you booked and paid for just incase anything is disputed.

Enjoy your trip!!

Singletail May 5th, 2004 11:30 AM

When you use Expedia you will not get a confirmation (it will not allow you to finalize the booking)unless the site has confirmed the flight with the airline..obviously that happened so you got the flight, "glitch" or not.
I don't see any reason to be anal about "calling the airline" unless it makes you feel better. It probably wasn't a glitch but rather seats the airline couldn't move so they got deeply discounted. Consider yourself fortunate and have a great trip.

rightted May 6th, 2004 10:12 AM

I did get a confirm e-mail. Keep meaning to check my credit card, but haven't yet. I always call to confirm my regular flight. After having to do a mad dash from Aldergrove to Belfast City airport because British Midland changed its airport between when I arrived in Northern Ireland and when I departed, I always always confirm.