Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Umbria/Tuscany car travel in late April - Must I pre-book hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Sam

Looking forward to meandering through the towns without set itinerary for a week. Must I book reservations in advance or is it reasonable to expect to find a choice of accomodations available along the way? Guidebook suggestions? I love the idea of not being obsessive and having everyday planned in advance, but is this practical?

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Vincenzo

Sam,<BR>it could be practical but not in the last week of April because, here in Italy since April 25 until May 1 it is, in fact, a holiday week.<BR>Have a nice trip, booking asap the hotels.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Sam

Would there be a best 4 or 5 towns to book a one night reservation so I would maximize my ability to access and get a feel for the countryside? Thank you for your help!

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 12:26 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Sam, You can do it from only 2 base camps with day trips if you pick your locations well. Pick one near Assisi and another near Siena and you are covered--and still flexible. Good luck !

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 04:20 PM
jenny

Drove around Tuscany and Umbria the last 2 weeks of April last year. No problems with accommodations except on weekends (Saturdays mainly) and public holidays. You should prebook those nights, altho we did managed to find accommodations eventually at the Tourist info centre over a long weekend, but it was harrowing.