Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

South of France and Italy for Young Adults

Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could anyone help with a possible itinerary for a small group of 20 year olds traveling to Europe for the first time?

They will be traveling from the East Coast (Philadelphia or Baltimore) and flying into either France or Italy. They have 14 days max and would like to see the South of France, Northern Italy and possibly Switzerland. Please give recommendations on the following:

1.Cheapest/Best City to fly into and is it best to fly in and out of separate cities
2. A good itinerary - not interested in fine dining/Museums - they want to see sites! Would love to be able to somehow fit Paris in, but is that unreasonable?
3. Are hostels the best choice for lodging?
4. Is train travel relatively easy for them?

We are travelers, but total novices in the Europe area. I am one of the parents and would like to get them settled into a good itinerary. I would really appreciate help. They are VERY budget conscious!! Thank you so much.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 08:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The dates have a very strong affect on the price
1) what sort of things do they want to see, for example Roman remains in France, Disney?
2) Travel by train is very easy in Europe and especially so if they travel the slow trains. Is that the sort of thing they want to do or will you be hiring buses?
3) Hostels can be good (especially if you book whole dorms) but there are also cheap and cheerful hotel chains that might do you a deal
4) small group,,,,,,, how many roughly?
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 08:46 AM

I understand wanting to help as a parent, but if they're in their 20s shouldn't they be poring over the guidebooks and maps and figuring this out on their own (including coming here and asking their own questions)?
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 09:51 AM

The best thing for them to do is to get some Let's Go to X stuent guides and check out the Thorn Tree section of the Lonely PLanet website. All this info is for students and much from students - will be much more like the trip they will do than most people here.

For airfares they need to start looking now at all the options - there are no specific "bests" - it's a constantly moving target. All that's important is that they fly open jaw - into their first city and out of their last to avoid backtracking and wasting time and money. On web sites this is usually listed as "multi-destination".

And they are trying to go to way to many places for only a 2 week trip - but as they plan it out day by day that will become apparent.

For train info they should go to bahn.de - which has schedules for all of europe.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 09:56 AM

A couple of things that will affect planning.
Exactly how many?
Girls? Boys? Will they share rooms? How many willing to share room?
Exactly when do they wish to go?

If the group is large enough, they could design their own tour, then hire a company to take them. A very small (five or six people) group can move around more, but a big group needs to stay fewer bases or have transportation very well planned.

If the group is large, one or two people should probably be in charge of designing a tour, including costs, then offer it to the others. Otherwise you may end up with too many leaders all wanting different things and nobody satisfied. Would also build into the itinerary lots of time for individual exploration. You might have transportation and lodging in each place and people on their own to do sight seeing. Staying in cities with good train service to nearby areas would make that easier. Example: If they are in Paris and some want to go to Disney while others want to visit Versailles, it would be easy for them to do that. In Rome, some might see only sights in Rome while others visit Ostia Antica, etc. In Florence, some might choose Pisa and others Sienna as day trips. Public transportation is good, but a bit trickier in South of France, so pick base carefully there.
Agree with St Cirq that people in their 20s need to take charge of their trip.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 10:06 AM
ira

Ditto StC
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

It will be a group of around 6. 2 girls and 4 guys. I think they are totally willing to share rooms. Probably not enough for a tour.

I was just afraid if they don't start in a bigger city, the flights from the US may be too expensive

Thanks for the parent advice, but they will be barely 20 and I'm just trying to do some leg work for them. They are looking around for information on their own as well.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 10:21 AM

See my other post about cheap XL flights from JFK to other places in France. We got a RT for around $650.00 to Marseilles this fall. They were the same in early Spring.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 10:23 AM

Yes, they need to start in a large city. Yes, they need to plan this for themselves. Get some questions together FROM them and then ask--or let them ask.
And only use one thread. Click on your name and you'll be connected to your threads.
"they are very budget conscious" What does that mean? How much?
Switzerland is expensive--just an fYI.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 11:33 AM

4. Is train travel relatively easy for them?>

Yes - many train personnel will speak some English and the info is all online or at stations posted everywhere - train station Information Counters will answer any questions.

Their trains could involve Nice and up and down the coast here by regional trains - Cannes, Monaco, Antibes, etc.

And then to Genoa or Milan or the Italian lakes for some days

then Switzerland -= I'd head to the fantastic Jungfrau Rewgion around Interlaken - the highpoint literally for me and many in Switzerland - majestic glacier-girdled Alpine peaks and a whole lot of folks there age - Interlaken has several youth hostels that attract folks there age from all over the world - Balmer's Auberge is a legendary watering hole - Grindelwald up in the hills and Luaterbrunnen have lots of inexpensive dorm accommodations and again many younger folk gravitate here.

Fly home out of Zurich.

If they are under 26 they could get a Eurail Youthpass - a 15 day pass that would cover most all their trains - in Switzerland just hop on any train anytime - and ditto along the French Rivera - in Italy you pay extra with a pass of 5-10 euros for the mandated seat reservation.

Tell them to check out these IMO fantastic sites for lots of great info on European trains and passes and alternatives - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com.

Note that two solo Eurail Youthpasses would cost about the same as the first-class Eurail Saverpass - so if they want to put two names on one pass they could do first class as cheap as the 2nd-class Youthpass and there is a world of difference between the classes. But if they know exactly what trains they will take and it will only be a handful then perhaps they would be better off just buying point-point tickets.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 11:50 AM

Ditto the notion of 20 something's owning their trip. But I will be honest, several years ago I was more that parent, trying to get some advice for a daughter heading on her first solo study abroad trip. And I was handed the same advice from Ira and St.Cirq. From the other side of that bridge, I see things differently. I did make some travel arrangements for her, in the getting there stage, which admittedly had me concerned. And once settled into Siena, she made all her own plans, traveling around Italy, and then getting herself to visit studying friends from Cairo to Barcelona and even a solo trip to Scotland. Later she and her boyfriend, now husband, planned a 5 week trip to SE Asia on their own.

So OP, do not be put off by the helicopter parent comments, but do try to engage the kids in working with you. Then you will be able to let them fly free.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Holy Cow - I'm just looking for Europe advice. Basic ideas. They are doing what they want when they get there . . . making there own plans.

I thought this was a forum for travel advice, not parenting advice.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 03:38 PM
jgg

My daughter just spent last spring studying in Rome and traveling throughout Europe. She was 20. A few answers to your questions (with no parenting advice!)

1. Yes, probably cheaper to have them fly into and out of a big city. We used frequent flyer miles to get her to and from Europe, but others have recommended a site called Student Universe. Definitely fly into one city and out of another (multi-city option when making reservation) so they will not need to backtrack. Hard to know at any given time what will be the cheapest city - I would go on Expedia, Orbitz, etc. and just put in different cities to find the cheapest fare.

2. With 14 days I would generally say pick 3, 4 at the most destinations, but I do think younger people move at a faster pace than us adults. My daughter did a lot of long weekend trips leaving late Thurs. night and arriving back Sunday evening which she loved! But the kids need to pick the top places they want to go and figure out the itinerary that way. The closer the places are to each other the less time they will have to take to get there.

3. Hostels are a good choice, but as some one else mentioned don't rule out cheaper hotels, or apts. My daughter stayed in all those options while traveling. She used airbnb.com and vrbo.com for apts. and hostels.com for hostels. Booking.com is a good place to look for hotels as you can sort by price per night. With six people they should be able to get a private room for the 6 of them in most hostels which can make staying in a hostel much more enjoyable.

4. Train should be easy for them, but depending on their final itinerary don't rule out cheap airfare on airlines like Ryanair if they are going further distances.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 05:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree with 3-4 cities with only 14 days. If they are on a budget, they might want to eliminate Switzerland as it's very expensive.

They just need to search flights into and out of various cities (Paris, Milan, Nice, Pisa, Zurich, Geneva). Book into one city and home from another(use the multi-city selection on websites) so they don't have to backtrack.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ...this is a great place to start!
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 01:46 PM

4. Is train travel relatively easy for them?>

Yes some of the fastest most modern trains in the world and can be really cheap if you book far in advance and TGV trains which run the bulk of trains to the south of France or Switzerland or Germany or Belgium - they require reservations before boarding.

Have them go to www.voyages-sncf.com - the French Railways official site - I believe they can also pick out their seats so they can sit near friends - www.trenitalia.com for Italian trains though trains from Nice via Ventimiglia to Genoa and Milan.
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 02:23 PM

I personally loved visiting the South of France with my husband because it is so romantic and peaceful, but I wonder how much 20 year olds would enjoy it? Same for Switzerland and northern Italy. Unless they are avid hikers, or are going to these places for other specific reasons, they might prefer bigger cities like Paris or Rome.

Of course, "south of France" and "northern Italy" could mean a lot of things-- country towns, beach, mountains, cities, etc. Nice is certainly a wonderful city, and Bologna is a university town they might enjoy. But you said they really want to "see sights" so usually the larger cities have the star attractions. If you give us some more detail about what they are looking to do, folks here may be able to give more focused suggestions. I hope they have a wonderful trip!
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 05:07 PM

Twenty is plenty old enough to do their own travel planning, I went to europe the first time at 19 - with my boyfriend - and my parents didn;t even know where we went until we returned. Why do you think they can;t plan this.

(And when we started to travel with my DDs - at 11 and 14 - they did a lot of research - picking sights they eanted to see and restaurants - and did some afternonn things on their own while we did thing they weren;t interested in

If they don;t do the planning know they will be helpless when they get there. They're adults - stop treating them like little kids,
Old Oct 26th, 2013, 05:19 PM

I wonder how many times I've read that story. Must be close to 1000.
Old Oct 28th, 2013, 08:41 AM

buy one of them a copy of Let's Go Europe - the Bible of younger travelers - written by students for young adults on a budget - the accommodations coverage of hostels, youth hotels and budget hotels is IMO unparalleled - just a wealth of info - this may be the best thing you can do for them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -