My partner and I are planning a trip to Umbria next June for about 12 nights. We would welcome any suggestions about itinerary, sights, hotels and restaurants.
--have been to Italy several times, do not want to spend much time in big cities
--speak some Italian
--like to walk, hills are good
--all kinds of art and architecture, especially small early medieval things; piles of Roman rocks make our day
--fond memories of Umbrian food and we want more, especially umbrichelli, truffles, boar
--the ideal lodging is a small hotel or B&B wedged in a 12th century retrofitted monastery, but we’re not picky. Not seeking luxury lodging.
--want to use trains; can plan our schedule around sparse train connections
Here’s a very early draft itinerary:
>>Rome: arrive noon from Montreal, Leonardo to Termini, train to Spoleto
>>3 nights Spoleto, then train to Assisi
>>3 nights Assisi (yes, crowded in daytime but I’ve read you can get away from ground zero and see lots of good things beyond the crowded basilica area; is this true? And by late afternoon the crowds go elsewhere and the town is beautiful in the evening. True? Not?) Then train to Spello.
>>3 nights Spello. Then train to Rome.
>>2 nights Rome (there’s an extra night dangling around somewhere; would prefer not to spend 3 nights in Rome, have visited it sufficiently already, just want one full day to wander aimlessly)
Then Leonardo back to airport and home.
Many thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 2 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 3 Current plan for March trip
- 4 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 5 Copying a post on Swiss gondolas.
- 6 Christmas in Granada....food!
- 7 Help needed for Bergamo to Venice journey
- 8 Dublin for St. Patricks Day
- 9 Recommendations Budget hotel Paris
- 10 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 11 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 12 beware of robbed in Milan
- 13 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 14 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 15 A Merry marvelousmouse, and (likely more than one) cup of good cheer!
- 16 First time in Spain
- 17 where to buy baby gifts in paris?
- 18 Wedding In Cambridge England
- 19 Once upon a time in Italy
- 20 Chinese new year festivities in Paris
- 21 GTG Paris December 2017
- 22 Paris November 2017
- 23 Christmas day lunch in prague
- 24 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann 2017
- 25 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help