Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Um . . .anyone know of good maternity and/or baby gear stores in Bologna, Milan, or Naples?

Search

Um . . .anyone know of good maternity and/or baby gear stores in Bologna, Milan, or Naples?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, odd question, I know, but Fodorites have come through with stranger requests!

We're Americans living in China (and I'm expecting), where maternity and baby gear is about 20 years behind the US and Europe. We've already stocked up on some things while in the states for Christmas, but there are still some things we'd like (and given our situation, even with the weak dollar it's worth it). A "travel system" stroller is one thing we're really looking for; European brands seem to be better.

I've already found a PreNatal and Chicco in Bologna . . . any other tips? We're off this afternoon (will check from there.

Thanks!
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 03:35 PM

You may already know this, and since I haven't been pregnant lately, I may be out of touch, but my Parisienne friend told me the maternity style in Europe right now is what she calls "showing the baby". This means tight, form fitting, knit clothing that is not necessarily maternity wear. At first I couldn't imagine showing off a huge stomach like that, but the more I see it, the more I think it looks so much better than American tent-style maternity wear.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 06:51 PM

i would only warn you that the prices are unbelievable for children's clothing in europe and especially italy...be prepared...

you will find many children's stores in each place
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 07:09 PM

crepes--that style is catching on here, as well! My good friend who was recently pregnant NEVER wore a tent-style anything, even though she gained about 60 pounds! She wore those form-fitting clothes with such confidence that she always looked stunning.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 11:06 PM
RAR

There should be a Prenatal in every city.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 11:06 PM
RAR

And Chicco isn't just a maternity store.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 11:13 PM

There is a shop in the Via Montenapoleone in Milan (towards the Via Manzoni end) that sells very upmarket strollers. There are some more reasonably priced shops along the Corso Vittorio Emanuele; mostly on you right hand side if you are walking towards the Duomo.
Can't really help about the maternity wear, since I have not looked for that in Milan. My favorite shop for this was Formes, but they don't seem to have a shop in Italy (check www.formes.com; maybe they do mail order). This is indeed mostly stretchy 'show off the bump" type of clothing; very nice things there.
Perhaps also check out department store La Rinasciente (Vittorio Emanuelle, near the Duomo), also Milan.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Brilliant! Tulips, I've transcribed your suggestions into my notebook and am heading off right now! Thanks, all! Will let you know how it goes!
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 01:19 AM

Good luck! I remember visiting Florence while I was 5 months pregnant, and couldn't find any maternity clothes anywhere. Lots of expensive baby things though!