Notices

UK Travel for US Tourist...

Old Jul 8th, 2020, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK Travel for US Tourist...

I am reading so many confusing things on this...as I understand it a US citizen today (7/8/20) cannot enter UK on a flight from US for tourism purposes. This is under the same ban and the EU as UK for travel purposes is in the EU until end of year. Is that correct. I see 777's being shown on schedule on AA for example from Miami (the hottest of hot spots) nonstop to London and wonder who is on them ? Anyone clear this up for me? Thanks.
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 08:20 AM

https://uk.usembassy.gov/covid-19-co...s-information/
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 08:22 AM

Most individuals arriving in the UK must self-isolate for 14 days and may be contacted to verify compliance. New arrivals will be required to provide UK officials with contact and travel information prior to arrival by completing the Public Health Locator Form. This form must be completed by each member of your traveling party.

For England: From July 10, 2020, passengers arriving to England by air, land, or sea from a number of “travel corridor” countries do not need to self-isolate so long as they have only visited the listed countries in the past 14 days. Note that these rules apply to England only. For the list of designated travel corridor countries, visit: Coronavirus (COVID-19): travel corridors (GOV.UK).

Note the difference between England and UK. They are not the same place

Who is on the flights? Brits probably or people for whom 14 days locked up is not a difficult issue.
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Okay thanks...however they are selling round trip tickets for US to UK for one week and all of this assumes visitors are going to observe the quarantine. I guess most will elect not to go with all the rules and uncertainty but it is really confusing.
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 09:34 AM

The reason there are still flights from the US to UK is that British nationals can return to their home, but will need to self isolate for 14 days. There are also certain people who are exempt from border controls, including diplomats, essential workers, etc. Read this page from the UK government (it’s quite a long list):
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...k-border-rules

Last edited by Heimdall; Jul 8th, 2020 at 09:49 AM.
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 06:58 PM

Yes, you can still fly to London with a US passport. But you have to quarantine for 14 days and you have to complete satisfactory paper work for the border (I don't know more). In contrast, I believe you will be turn away from and not be able to board your flight going to Paris from the US if you have an American passport unless you have a residency permit.
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 11:42 PM

The US government still has a red travel advisory for all of Europe, including the UK, so any insurances you have would not be valid even if you are allowed into a country.
You could be turned away at the airport if you don't have everything sorted as well - airlines don't want to have to repatriate you and get a fine if you are not admitted for not having met the immigration requirements.
Stay home, stay safe and keep the rest of us safe as well.
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 12:14 AM

I often read here on this forum that restrictions are assumed to be based on nationality and passport yet most countries have restrictions based on where someone is originating from and where they are going to. Text in official advisories often starts with "passengers arriving from...." or "travellers from" (example the link to gov.uk posted above.) Sometimes there is mention of specific citizens or those with residence permits that are allowed into a country no matter where they are arriving from. Sometimes it is a mix of both as nationals of a country are always allowed back into their own country. You could have a US passport but be resident in the UK or vv. My DD and SIL live in the US but are not US citizens but will be subject to whatever quarantine rules the UK has if they choose to go to the UK.

Of course a US citizen can fly to the UK for tourism today if they wish, however they will be in quarantine for the first 14 days of that vacation plus there might be further quarantine restrictions when they go back to the US. .And flights have been operating between US and UK over the past few months because people will always need to be repatriated or people travel for other things than just tourism, planes carry cargo too.

https://www.gouvernement.fr/en/coronavirus-covid-19
Travel from outside the EU is restricted to France, it is not a specific rule for US citizens.

Last edited by balthy; Jul 10th, 2020 at 12:20 AM.
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 03:39 AM

Balthy is absolutely correct, and references to nationality or passport are misleading. As a US citizen/passport holder living in England I would be subject to travel restrictions for the UK, not the USA. Of course as a US passport holder I would be free to return to the USA, and EU/Schengen passport holders would be allowed to travel from the US to their home country.