Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

UK train info (or other suggested transportation)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and her boyfriend are taking a ferry from Dublin to Holyhead, Wales later this month. They want to travel to Liverpool, stay overnight and then go down to London.

Obviously, time is important, but so is money since they are both students. I would like to compare bus and train fares for them. (Finals this week so they are swamped.)

I checked the www.nationalrail.co.uk website and it requires a station name in order to give me train information. However, I do not find a station locater by city. My question is, is there a train station in Holyhead, Wales? If so, does anyone know its name or how I can find that information?

Also, any advice anyone can give as to the best way to get to Liverpool from Holyhead would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Linda
Old May 12th, 2006, 02:54 PM

There is a railway station in Holyhead. To avoid confusing visitors, it is called "Holyhead". Use the National Rail web site to check journeys from Holyhead to Liverpool. There are also direct ferries from Dublin to Liverpool by day and overnight (www.norsemerchant.com).
Old May 12th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

I guess I just wanted to be sure I was looking at the correct "Holyhead". Although it seems a unique name to me, it may be more common in the UK.

Thank you for the information!
Linda
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If it is Liverpool they want to get to, why are you asking about Holyhead/Wales? There are direct ferries from Dublin to Liverpool that take about 3.5 hours (or about 8 hours overnight)
Old May 12th, 2006, 11:36 PM

janisj, generally the cheapest route is via Holyhead. I know that people travelling form the UK to Ireland can use http://www.sailrail.co.uk fpr £48 return but I don't know if it's possible to do it the other way for similar prices
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:36 AM

There are no fast ferries between Dublin and Liverpool (the last operator to try it went bankrupt last year). The crossing time is seven hours. Fares for a foot passenger are £20 to £30 (including lunch) by day, or £40 to £50 (including dinner and breakfast but not a cabin which is extra) overnight.
Old May 13th, 2006, 05:56 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh - I didn't know the fast ferry was gone. I'd still consider taking the ferry straight to Liverpool though. They'd end up where they want to be w/o having to take the train from Holyhead.

Just another option . . . .

Old May 13th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions. I did find the direct ferry to Liverpool. However, it is quite long and they had already decided on (and paid for) the ferry into Holyhead.

I am suggesting that they train to Liverpool and then train from there to London. They will be able to do that for 46 and 48 pounds respectively - not too bad for two persons and it saves them a lot of time.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!
Linda