UK Summer Bank Holiday - Aug.30?

Jul 8th, 1999, 02:09 PM
Judy

UK Summer Bank Holiday - Aug.30?

My calendar happens to list Mon. Aug. 30 as a "Summer bank holiday" in the UK. Does anyone know what that means to a tourist? ie: will any sites, monuments, etc be closed, or train schedules running differently?

Jul 8th, 1999, 02:49 PM
Sheila

Your calendar (we call them diaries hereis wrong. It is an English bank holiday, which means it's a public holiday there too, It's not a public holiday in Scotland, except in some places where it might be. Actually it might be a Bank Holiday here too (remembering recent sell-out by Banking Union), bu it definitely isn't a Scottish public holiday, except where it is. Our public holidays are fixed by Councils and vary from town to town.

It means that Offices will be closed, and most shops, and every tourist place in the country will be packed. And it will rain.

Come to Scotland, that's my advice. Here you will only have to worry abut the midges

Jul 8th, 1999, 08:44 PM
Dot

We were in the Cotswolds last August on Bank Holiday. It was packed - roads, even small out of the way towns, shops, eating places. I felt it was the worst possible day we could have picked. The whole area was to have been the highlilght of our trip and instead was totaly spoiled for me. I hope I can go back some day at a better time. It reminded me of Monday of either Memorial or Labor Day week ends here.

Jul 9th, 1999, 01:24 AM
Jo

Nothing really closes, especially not tourist attractions. Tubes, trains, shops etc will be running on Sunday schedule.

Jul 28th, 1999, 07:46 PM
Mariela

Is it really so? How dreadful!!
You know, I am due to arrive to London on my own and for my first time exactly on the 30th August!!! Besides, it's ages that I don't travel (1988 USA with husband)
What shall I do?
What difficulties should I expect?
Please HELP!!!

Jul 29th, 1999, 12:05 AM
George Holt

If you are arriving in the country on 30th August you won't notice much difference.

The airport should be functioning pretty much normally though it may be quite busy. Some of the airport shops may be shut but probably not.

Trains, buses and underground (tubes) will be running to a Sunday timetable which means there will be fewer and less frequent trains and they will start running later in the morning and finish running earlier at night but that just means you'll have to wait a little longer and the trains may be more crowded.

Roads may be very crowded, depending on the weather, with folk heading to and from the coast and other touristy places. It doesn't always rain during August Bank Holiday weekend, it just seems like that!

Some tourist sites may have modified opening hours but few will shut on such a lucrative weekend.

Tuesday 31st will be a normal weekday working day with everything back to normal ie trains will be late or cancelled, people will be grumpy and it almost certainly won't rain

Aug 1st, 1999, 06:17 PM
Joan Doyle

This is for Mariela: Take to heart the messages on this board--but remember that you're going to be so TIRED from your journey that you may not even want to EAT on August 30. Go straight to your lodging place, check in, take a bath, and go to bed. By morning you'll be fine and ready to take on the world. Have a good flight--and I'm wishing you the best for the year ahead. Joan