Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > UK Road Trip...Where to stop on the way to London Heathrow?

UK Road Trip...Where to stop on the way to London Heathrow?

Jul 17th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

UK Road Trip...Where to stop on the way to London Heathrow?

Ok so I am planning a trip from Florence to Dublin/Galway to Amsterdam to Edinburgh and then renting a car there and driving it to London for my flight back home. I have been in Europe for three weeks now and will be in Florence for three more but this road trip is my last venture before heading back home to the states and other than a stop in Liverpool there is nothing on the itinerary....What is the must see's in England or Scotland. I have 8 days and a rental car and two friends to split the costs with. I love music and anything random/entertaining. I know that's broad but would love feedback! Thanks!
Jul 17th, 2011, 05:51 PM

I would ahve thought that it would be a better route to go Florence-AMS-Dublin-Edinburgh. I'm guessing there must be a reason for the jumping around of Florence to Dublin to Amsterdam to Edinburgh?

At any rate, for your 8 days between Edinburgh and LHR, while you're in the vicinity, you could also visit Manchester and do the Manchester Music Tour (esp if you're into Joy Division, The Smiths, New Order, anything to do with the Madchester scene/era - Inspiral Carpets, Happy Mondays, etc). From Liverpool, you could also duck over to the north coast of Wales if that interest you. In terms of scenery, the Lake District is worth a stop, and York may be of interest in terms of history/sights/pretty town. You could stick to the west side and come down through the Cotswolds, stay a night, and then you could pull into Oxford the night before you're travelling to LHR and explore.

Search this Thread