Search

UK Pubs & Kids

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2006, 12:20 AM
IWS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK Pubs & Kids

My one and only trip to London (11 years) ago was a work trip. I fell in love with the pubs, the food and the atmosphere. What great places to unwind and meet the locals. Travelling in a few weeks time to London my wife and I will have the kids with us. Are kids allowed in to pubs to eat and if so, are there time restrictions? Thanks - Ian
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 01:20 AM

There isn't a straightforward answer to this, as each pub makes up it's own rules as to who it will admit. Some are entirely adult only, some will allow children in before 9pm if they eat in a special family area, and some will allow children at lunchtime. But to avoid disappointment, I think it would be worth doing some research for specific pubs that allow children on the various pub websites, such as:

http://www.beerandpub.com/content.as..._Override=2300
http://www.diningpubs.co.uk/
http://www.pubs.com/features_search.cfm
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 01:59 AM

Legally they can only go in where food is being served. Some pubs turn a blind eye to a well-behaved kid though(more likely in the country/residential area 'locals' than the city). A pub serving food at lunchtime will set its own rule - just ask at the bar when you go in.
You won't be able to take them into a proper boozy pub.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 02:01 AM

We've had luck with the Good Pub Guide, www.goodguides.co.uk

A couple of things we've done with kids is eat early, pubs are generally more accommodating when not as crowded and send an adult inside first to see if they allow children and ask where they would like you to sit.

Additionally, the more food-oriented pubs fill fast and you should book a table if you know your dining pub in advance.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 10:04 AM

legally kids must not be in the same were as the bar is's hare kids menus try Witherspoon pubs they usually have a kids area
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 11:06 AM

We ate in a few pubs with out kids in the So. Kensington area without any problems. They also had non-smoking sections.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 02:15 PM

as others have said, it the rules depend on the pub but the majority of central london pubs are not suitable for children (whether allowed or not)...they are also not well suited for eating for "meeting the locals". pubs in the shire are a different story...they are much more comfortable, family friendly and some have decent food.

as for london, i don't think that they are the kind of places that children would enjoy...often crowded, smoke and odour filled, etc. likewise, most of the punters are not likely to appreciate having children around. the old, traditional pubs often are where men go to do some proper drinking and the places with the younger crowd are filled with binge drinking louts. in short, mostly adult orientated.

there are some exceptions, however. hampstead has some pubs that i would consider somewhat less adult orientated and decent for an early dinner.