UK military air shows and car show

May 20th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

UK military air shows and car show

I was looking into visiting Duxford/Cambridge one day when we are in the UK this summer, and realized that we could go to the Flying Legends air show in Duxford or RNAS Yeovilton Air Day. Both are scheduled for July 10. Duxford is about 2.5 hours each way from where we are staying on that date, and Yeovilton 1.5 hours, so Duxford would have to be "worth" the extra drive.

We have never been to an air show, and I have only a vague idea of what to expect. I can go to Duxford on a day with no air show as well.

Anyone have any opinions as to whether either air show is fun, or more for serious military buffs.

In addition, we are in the general area for the Goodwood Festival of Speed July 2 - 4. Tickets for this must be purchased in advance. The website does not give a very good schedule of what events are on at what time/day. Anyone been? Recommend?

I am looking for fun events between castles. Thanks for any responses!
May 20th, 2010, 05:21 AM

Cripes!

An airshow is pretty much what it says. Loads of historic planes parked so you can have a good look and the airworthy ones do a fly past etc. Usually the modern RAF sends the Red Arrows to do a display (very good)

Goodwood is great. You can't really go wrong. It's a lovely place (just outside of Chichester - which would repay an overnight stay and a visit to the museum and Fishbourne Roman Villa in the morning). It's a shade over an hour on the train. The meet is mainly very expensive old cars owned by rockstars etc racing flat out (it's not unusual to see a £1m car written off).

Highly recommended.

When I stay there I like to stay in the Bishop Otter (yes really) college who rent out rooms in the holiday periods.

Goodwood:

http://www.goodwood.co.uk/festival-o...d/welcome.aspx

Fishbourne:

http://www.fishbourneromanpalace.com/
May 20th, 2010, 06:02 AM

Goodwood is great - it was pouring down rain when we went in 2007, but we still had a blast. If you want to see the actual hill climb competition, I believe the final is always on the last day.

Here's a sampling of the cars you might see:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hausfra...7601987320688/

Hotels are probably already filled up in the immediate area, so if you need to book a room, do it ASAP.
May 20th, 2010, 06:42 AM

I've had a quick look at the Yeovilton Air Day and the program looks excellent - well worth a trip (if you like aircraft). A good mix of Historic and modern aircraft.

The show includes both the RAF memorial flight (Spitfires, Hurricanes and a Lancaster) as well as the RN Swordfish.
The latter are particularly amazing as they are very slow biplane torpedo bombers - possibly most famous for their part in sinking the Bismark, and for the successful attack of the Italian Fleet at Taranto.
May 20th, 2010, 09:39 AM

Jusr be prepared for VERY heavy traffic in and around these events - if you haven't factored this in, you could be looking at a much longer day out than you'd anticipated.
May 20th, 2010, 10:55 AM

Note what Gordon_R says. Your drive times will be waaaay off because of the bumper to bumper tail backs near both shows.

Where are you staying? For instance if it is convenient, for Duxford it might be better to take a train to Cambridge and public transport to the show.

Goodwood is absolutely terrific -- but it books up everything w/i 30+ miles. Whereabouts are you staying in the "general area"? Traffic for Goodwood will be, if anything, worse than for the air shows.
May 20th, 2010, 12:06 PM

Duxford has many interesting 'static' aircraft, both warbirds and commercial aircraft. The commercial display includes a Comet and Concorde, both of which you can go inside to admire the mid-century decor!

On show days they usually have dog-fights with some of the early jet fighters - a MIG-15, which lives just down the M11 at North Weald, and a Sabre. They also usually have something newer, like Sea Harriers. I love those!
May 20th, 2010, 12:56 PM

The Flying Legends is a blast! WW2 aircraft flying over a WW2 air base makes for a terrific sensation. As air shows go, it's a extremely well choreographed event, and then you've got all the rest of the museum to see. I visited last summer. A clip with some of the scenes is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcJmwnt3Gl4

If you take the train to Cambridge, then it is so easy to take the shuttle to the show. Just walk out of the rail station and go clockwise to the shuttle buses.

The line is long at the door. I recommend buying your ticket online.