Lost property at Fiumicino airport Rome

Old Oct 7th, 2014, 01:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost property at Fiumicino airport Rome

On Monday 29 September shortly after arriving at the airport my wife lost her handbag before going through passport control.

So far we have had no success in tracing it. I have contacted the 2 lost property offices listed in the airport's website as well as Easyjets office there but they don't have it there.

Apart from accepting the possibility that it has not been handed in does anyone have any advice on further avenues to pursue to help locate the bag which contained sentimental objects.
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 02:55 AM

Have you contacted airport security? It is possible someone who saw the bag left unattended somewhere (a restroom?) had security remove it.
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 03:34 AM

Not to start a dispute in your marriage, but I don't think your poor wife "lost" her purse at all.

It is far more likely that it was stolen. Sandra's suggestion to contact Security is excellent. Depending on who the thief was, they may have tossed everything except the passport, cash and credit cards. Whether the remaining items were retained is another matter, but Security is clearly the place to start.

We think we are safe once when we are in secure areas. My wife's passport was stolen from her shoulder bag while she waited in line in the secure area of Heathrow. A fellow passenger on a BOS-LAX flight dropped his wallet in the toilet on the plane. Someone else took it. It had a lot of money in it. The wallet was found in the paper towel trash bin. The money was gone.
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 04:57 AM

Agree that theft is much more likely than loss. Perhaps the bag was tossed in the trash after valuables were removed.

A colleague of mine put her belongings on the screening belt at DFW but was held up by a bonehead ahead of her carrying a lot of metal (giant belt buckle, lots of coins, heavy watch, swiss army knife!!) and by the time she got through herself all her belongings were at the far end of the belt and her computer had been pulled from the plastic container - and was gone forever.
Old Oct 7th, 2014, 07:17 AM

Maybe the "heavy metal" guy was an accomplice of the thief.
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 12:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. I agree that the bag probably has been stolen.

I can't find a contact number for security at the airport but on the day of the loss I did go to the police office there and filed a report. I followed this up with a detailed description of the bag for the police but so far no luck.
There are 2 lost property offices there. One answered my call promptly last week but the other only answered this morning after 5 days of ringing at least 6 times per day. Again no luck from either.

In the meantime I shall keep contacting these offices in the hope of a positive result. Failing that I am running out of ideas.

We have dealt with the issue of lost cards etc. but the main loss is of various sentimental items that meant a lot to my wife.

Thanks again for your support.
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 01:54 AM

Sort of a amazing isn't it, that an ordinary citizen can't easily find a way to communicate with airport security? What if you had a security threat to report?

Have you used this form to contact the airport management? As much as possible, emphasize that this involves family items, especially if they have anything to do with somebody's mother

http://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-r...sts-complaints

If you think the bag might have been stolen at the security checkpoints, that area of Italian airports is often overseen by both the Carabinieri and the Polizia di Frontiera Aerea. You could also try contacting the Polizia Municipale.

https://www.adr.it/pax-fco-numeri-e-indirizzi-utili

It is often more helpful to deal with Italian offices by fax rather than phone, which would also give you an opportunity to fax some photos or drawings. If you have difficulty speaking with these offices, ask them if they have a fax number.
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Sandra

Thank you for your advise and contact links. I will get on to these tomorrow.

Will report any success.
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

I have submitted the information form to the airport that Sandra suggested and also contacted the Policia di Fronteria and am awaiting a reply from each.

What is extremely frustrating is the fact that the both of the lost property offices there are very reluctant to answer their phone. Since I returned to the UK 9 days ago I have rung each of these offices at least 10 times each day and so far managed one reply from each---the last one 3 days ago.

One wonders if they won't communicate with the public what are they there for.

I feel that all I can do now is to write to the airport authority to seek their help and also continue to attempt contact with lost property.

The bag may have been found and handed in yet I can't get a reply to allow me to find out.
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 06:00 AM

Reading the airport website for FCO, it appears to me that the Lost Property office is located next to the baggage storage office. (Mistranslated on the website page):

https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-...-lost-property

If that is true, then you might try contacting the baggage storage office and asking them to communicate with Lost Property. They might, in fact, be the same employees (overworked). Luckily, the website page for the baggage storage office lists both a fax number and an e-mail address in addition to a phone number:

https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-...ggage-services

Buona fortuna!
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Sandra. As you know there are 2 lost property offices----one inside security and one outside, which is next to the left luggage office. I wii contact left luggage tomorrow and see if they can help.

I finally managed to get a reply from the inside security office later today--no luck, but I will keep checking and keep you informed of any progress.
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 03:32 AM

you can use Traista app for lost and found while traveling.
Old Dec 12th, 2017, 06:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
travelista99, stop bringing up old threads to promote an app. Advertising is not allowed on these forums.