UK itinerary and questions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering a trip to UK using Marriott points. We have thought about staying in one location and buying a rail pass for daytrips. The other option is to select up to 3 different locations and rent a car. Marriott has about 60 properties in England and Scotland. Your recommendations? Thanks!
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 07:05 PM

How long are you here? What are your interests?
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 08:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
1) besides how long and your interests -- when is the trip??

2) I probably wouldn't get a rail pass. If you were going to rent a car to get from one property to the next, why wouldn't you do the same to do day trips?? (of course a car isn't practical in London or other major cities, but elsewhere it is often the best way to get around). In general rail passes don't pay unless you are doing a lot of long distance train trips.

3) Marriott properties are quite literally all over the country - so what we recommed would depend largely on which one(s) you chose.

(also - picking a property doesn't mean they have rooms. It might be better to first check for availability at different resorts for when you are traveling)
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

We would be going in mid to late August for about 8 days. The city is okay for a day or two but most interested in scenery. Husband is fine with driving on left side of road (we did this in Ireland and although it scared me to death - he enjoyed it!). We've checked several Marriotts and availability looks pretty good at most.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 01:02 PM

I think you would be better renting a car. If you are travelling by train, it would probably be cheaper to book individual tickets in advance using thetrainline website. I do this quite frequently. It is convenient as you can book on line and pick up your tickets at a fast pick-up machine.

Carolena
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 02:38 PM

In August scenically attractive areas will be busy with holidaymakers. Marriotts, being mainly town based, will be correspondingly quieter.

Not sure where you're coming from or flying into, but if you can fly into Manchester you might consider the Marriotts at Shipley and Durham and spend your time in the north of England in the Yorkshire and Durham Dales, North York Moors and Northumberland, which for my money are the best parts of England for scenery and should not be too busy. Avoid the Lake District (busy and possibly wet) and Edinburgh (Festival time - packed).
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 08:07 AM

About Marriott in London... I don't know about other properties, but Marriott "Regents Park" and Marriott "Maida Vale" are totally misleading. The former is not close to the park at all, a rather ugly concrete block in residential area, and the latter should be called Kilburn. Neither are centrally located. Renaissance Chancery Court near Holborn is a very nice hotel, though the area is mostly office buildings.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 09:20 AM

<<< the Marriotts at Shipley >>>

You mean Hollins Hall in Baildon.

And why would the Lake District be wet in August - and it's only crowded on the Windermere to Derwentwater axis
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 02:48 PM

<i>And why would the Lake District be wet in August</i>

Because the Lake District is one of the wettest parts of England and August is usually the wettest of the summer months. See http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/...12000/rr/8.gif

<i>You mean Hollins Hall in Baildon</i>

I mean Marriott Hollins Hall Hotel &amp; Country Club, Hollins Hill, Baildon, Shipley.

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:08 PM

Anyone who knows Shipley would know that a hotel there is pretty much downmarket.

However a hotel in Baildon is a different matter
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:18 PM

<i>Anyone who knows Shipley would know that a hotel there is pretty much downmarket.</i>

I doubt if luvtravl knows much about Baildon, Shipley, or indeed West Yorkshire.

Do you have any useful advice to give the OP?