UK: Isle of Wight thoughts

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2011, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Southampton on Tuesday, July 5th and am going to the Isle of Wight. A British colleague suggested the following plan "you should go on the Island’s train service to Shanklin. Have lunch at the Crab Pub, and then get a cab to Ventnor. Walk along the shore path to the Spy Glass and have a pint. Then walk further along the shore path to the Botanical Gardens. Get a cab from the Gardens back to Shanklin and the return ferry. Really lovely day out. " For those who live on the Isle or have been there, what's your reaction to this plan? My colleague is a former military officer and quite fit, so how long would you say both portions of "walk along the short path" are? I'm not interested in shopping and although I like stately homes, Osbourne House doesn't sound terribly appealing... Thanks for any tips or comments!
Old May 31st, 2011, 04:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Each time I've been on the Isle I've had a car so the logistics were different/easier. But the plan sounds quite doable. There are a few Hampshire/SW Fodorites -- hopefully one of them will see your thread and have more specific info.

(I wouldn't under estimate Osbourne House BTW -- but you might not have enough time for it)
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:40 PM

I don't know the details of the suggested walk. What I do know is that the ferry from Southampton goes to Cowes, and there is no train from Cowes to Shanklin. There is probably a bus you could take.

Trains on the Isle of Wight run from Ryde, and connect with the ferries from Portsmouth.

Your choice is therefore to either go direct from Southampton to Cowes (a longer voyage, by the way) and then by bus to Shanklin or go to Portsmouth first and then take the passenger ferry to Ryde.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 12:16 AM

Red Funnel (www.redfunnel.co.uk) run the ferries from Southampton to Cowes or East Cowes. Wightlink (www.wightlink.co.uk) go from Portsmouth to Ryde where they connect with the island trains to Shanklin. The trains are old London tube trains.
Buses on the island are run by Southern Vectis (www.islandbuses.info). From Cowes, route 1 goes to Newport, then route 2 to Shanklin or route 3 to Ventnor and Shanklin.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 07:23 AM

Not to hijack this thread, but JanisJ,is there anyplace you haven't been? I am so envious...
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 08:38 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
egnolive: I cheated a bit -- I lived in the UK for five years and since I didn't have permission to work :'( . . . I had lots of free time to explore.

Then I travel back there 1-2 times most years.