UK Football/Soccer question

Jan 13th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

UK Football/Soccer question

I am going to be in London this weekend and I see there is a West Ham vs Fulham game on Sunday. I want to get the full European soccer experience with a crazy crowd, etc. Will this be a good game to see? If so, which stand is the best to sit?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Jan 13th, 2009, 06:33 PM

The game is a sell-out, as most West Ham home games are, and it's a London derby.
You may be able to get a ticket from a scalper (called tout here) near the stadium (esp around tube station - Upton Park), but be discreet as selling and buying football tickets unofficially is against the law (to prevent rival fans being in the same stand etc).
Or go to any pub to watch it - it's televised live from 1.30 pm on Sky Sports (satellite/cable channels).
Jan 13th, 2009, 10:12 PM

scottsara:

Actually, there are a few tickets remaining and on general sale.

You may want to check this site:

http://www.whufc.com/page/TicketNews...451507,00.html

Just follow the link for the onlone booking site (whufcboxoffice.com). You will have to register as a customer in order to purchase tickets. Make sure to be at the ground in good time (you may have time to get a balti pie before the game).

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip.

Phil
Jan 14th, 2009, 04:45 AM

West Ham is a good place to sample the "football experience". There's no specific stand to go in - they're all noisy.

ps No balti pies at Upton Park - you want jellied eels!
Jan 14th, 2009, 07:05 AM

CW - I remember the look on your face a few years ago when you tried jellied eels in The Crown - priceless!
Jan 14th, 2009, 07:13 AM

Thanks for bringing that up. I spent thousands on therapy to supress that memory.

Jan 14th, 2009, 07:59 AM

You're welcome!

I've never seen anyone look so ill, even after a night on the pop!
Jan 14th, 2009, 08:12 AM

With CW's gracious info last Feb i went to Upton Park on a West ham game day - not to see the snore-bore (as BBC tv called it later) but just to see what the pre-game crowd and festivities were like.

And thought they were much much more subdued then i thought (a winless team practically then i think) with no one drinking alcohol in the streets like bee American football games, etc. and only a few packed pubs but mainly upstanding fans, many with kids in tow just having a good ole time. Men inevitably had a West Ham coat on - a natty bluish-gray coat if i remember with the West Ham team logo on it.

The Crown is the pub across from the West Ham statue in the middle of the road if i remember correctly and yes it was boisterous and overflowing out the door.

I later went to a Chelsea home game pre-game and the fans there seemed much more active - there there were police checks at the Tube exit for weapons i guess - police dogs sniffing folk and on the street were teams of police horses reading to charge out of control crowds. (were playing Liverpool) but again i failed to see any 'hooligans' like i thought yelling and running amok.

The Chelsea pre-game experience was more awesome - at W Ham the players just drove themselves into a fenced off car park right in front of the stadium - and many fans thrust their programs and stuff to sign thru the fence for the few players willing to sign - one really sharp tall black player with earring stayed and signed for a long time however.

At Chelsea however the local heroes rode in on their charter bus thru the admiring throngs that walked with the bus cheering - a much more impressive spector than at West Ham.

If going to West Ham go early enough to savor one of London's neatest ethnic streets - Green St - an amazing street filled with South Asian stores and eateries that could have come out of New Delhi. Turn left when coming out of the Upton Park tube station for Green St

right for the football stadium and a plethora of dumpy English cafes.

I again thank CW for turning me on to Green St the West Ham match.
Jan 14th, 2009, 08:18 AM

<<< Thanks for bringing that up. >>>

Is that what you did? Better out than in.
Jan 14th, 2009, 08:24 AM

You will find atmosphere in and around football grounds much more civilised and well-mannered than in the past, because of strong actions taken by the government, the police and football authorities. There is a full-time football intelligence unit by Scotlanf Yard that monitors known hooligans and prevents disturbances and violent clashes from happening. Many ex-hooligans have received banning orders preventing them from attending games anywhere in the country. There is a local by-law in force in many areas preventing consumption of alcohol in the streets, and fans are strictly segregated to prevent trouble inside.
Football is becoming a family entertainment and clubs are pulling all the stops to make attending a game a pleasant and safe experience.
You are much more likely to see menacing atmosphere and hooligans openly parading the streets around certain grounds in Italy, the Netherlands and Germany.
Jan 14th, 2009, 08:43 AM

Spurs are playing Pompey on Sunday. Come and join in the singing - and get arrested.

What exactly AM I allowed to yell at Sol Campbell?
Jan 14th, 2009, 08:59 AM

There is only ONE Sol Campbell!
Jan 14th, 2009, 09:13 AM

And thank God there's only one.
Jan 15th, 2009, 01:27 AM

'O Sol Mio'?
Jan 15th, 2009, 04:10 AM

CW - Let it go. He's gone. Move on and jeer somebody else. You could always pick on GTFABM Crouch instead?

Do you still meet up with your friends from your 'social' group? Any signs of it being revived yet?
Jan 15th, 2009, 04:38 AM

What with us shouting at that big poove Campbell and the skates shouting at 'Arry it should be quite a day out (and LU have closed seven sisters for the day just to make things interesting)

I do still see the Angry Mob - they keep marrying each other! There's now even Hate Group babies.

There was an inkling of a revival from our old friend MJ but it died a death.
Jan 15th, 2009, 05:08 AM

Sunday could certainly be interesting - I'm quite glad that I'm not going - too much animosity around.

Having already said that i think the arrests were OTT, I'm presume your new move towards "freedom to sing" includes tolerance towards songs about gas ovens?
Jan 15th, 2009, 05:28 AM

No it doesn't. As far as I am aware no one has ever been arrested for singing "spurs are on their way to belsen" and the like.

It's not on. As is racism.

Homophobia is a trickier one. Football appears to be institutionally homphobic (ask Graham Le Saux) and to embrace homphobia in ways that wouldn't be acceptable elsewhere. That's not to excuse the abuse, but it seems to be rather unfair to ick on us when it is commonplace everywhere else.

Jan 15th, 2009, 08:42 AM

Soccer seems to bring out the worst in its fans around the world - other countries much more - even referees have been attacked in South America.
Jan 15th, 2009, 11:52 AM

Come down and see Cardiff at the next game, great crowd, great atmosphere and bloody cheaper than any of the premiership rich sides.

Muck

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO