Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   UK Cuisine Q?- SPAM Fritters? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/uk-cuisine-q-spam-fritters-686328/)

PalenQ Mar 9th, 2007 06:49 AM

UK Cuisine Q?- SPAM Fritters?

I've been in a lot of the consummate greasy-spoon British Cafes in my British travels and love them to death (literally i fear) but recently in such a cafe in the gritty town of Chatham i saw on the menu:

SPAM Fritter

I'd never seen this before - this sounds that an artery clotting 'delicacy' that is hard for me to believe many locals eat.

SPAM Fritters - is this a common English cafe fare?

ira Mar 9th, 2007 06:53 AM

Hi P,

>SPAM Fritters - is this a common English cafe fare?<

Monty Python thought so.

See http://tinyurl.com/rnlwq

((I))

audere_est_facere Mar 9th, 2007 06:57 AM

Yes people like them - my Dad used to love them. I always think of them as being school-dinner food.

I'm not a fan.

flanneruk Mar 9th, 2007 07:06 AM

I love them. You still find them in the occasional chippy

You see, the fat in the spam melts as well, so if you get them hot they're really juicy. Unfortunately they're rare these days. Not so much a cholesterol issue, but battered sausages don't involve as much labour or health and safety nonsense. Remember you've got to slice the spam, which means having staff who'll get the slicing right without chopping their hands off.

Increasingly, you have to fall back on the great northern delicacy, hot pork pie, if you want lots of hot runny juices.

sheila Mar 9th, 2007 12:40 PM

I'm not a huge TV watcher, but haven't they been advertising them a lot on the telly recently?

FainaAgain Mar 9th, 2007 12:46 PM

"Remember you've got to slice the spam, which means having staff who'll get the slicing right without chopping their hands off." - do you still slice by hand in Britain??

My husband worked in a small cafe in San Francisco, all slicing was done by a slicing machine: meats, cheeses, veggies.

PalenQ Mar 9th, 2007 12:48 PM

I'm sure that Roy of Roys Rolls from Coronation Street would only slice by hand... and of course that show shows the real real English life.

waring Mar 9th, 2007 01:19 PM

Utterly, utterly, utterly revolting, and that's from someone who likes Spam.

It is truly skool dinner, and I am surprised that Lord David of Tottingham would have had the same dross served up on gold plates at his prep school that we had to fight the pigs for at ours.

(To the Tune of Out of Town)

Say what you will
School dinners make you ill
Davey Crocket died of Shepherd pie.
Our school din-dins
Come from the pig bins
Out of Town.

flanneruk Mar 9th, 2007 09:54 PM

Chippies aren't delis. Nothing - except spam fritters - that's sold in a chippy needs slicing. Bad enough having to invest in a knife just to sell the fritters: no-one would fork out for a bloody machine.

hanl Mar 9th, 2007 10:55 PM

The thought of spam fritters, as served up by the school dinner ladies, strikes fear into my heart. They are without doubt one of the most repellent things I've ever had the misfortune of eating.

flybob Mar 9th, 2007 11:14 PM

LOL,
Staple diet for a kid growing up in post war britain in the early 50`s. They were filling and much better than whale meat.

walkinaround Mar 9th, 2007 11:30 PM

i'd much rather have velveeta queso or whatever that bloke was planning to give to the owner of his british b&b. that's much better than this rubbish. i am referring to a recent thread.

it's dishes like spam fritters that made me scratch my head when so many took a sanctimonious stance at this guy's dish.

flanner makes a good point...so much is controlled by fear of 'health and safety' nonsense. many offices give 10 days training (i exaggerate) on how to sit in a chair without killing yourself...i can only imagine the hassles required when you introduce complex devices like knives.

Mucky Mar 10th, 2007 12:19 AM

I have not come across spam fritters here in Wales, although I have to say I don't get to the chippy very often these days, I prefer to eat proper food...lol.

However chippies down here do sell potato fritters, which is really a massive mashed up potato chip with 'something' else all in batter packed full of the oil it was deep fried in, there are also pineaple fritters too according to Mrs Muck who frequents such places after a night out with the girls.

I heard up North there are deep fried Mars bars, which sounds odd and also deep fried battered banana's too in some places.

Yucky !!

Mucky

PatrickLondon Mar 10th, 2007 01:20 AM

All together now, flybob:

Whalemeat again
Don't know where,
Don't know when....

MissPrism Mar 10th, 2007 01:42 AM

Does anyone remember snoek?
I remember that spam fritters were one of the things at my school that were vaguely edible.

MissPrism Mar 10th, 2007 01:50 AM

Actually, banana fritters and apple fritters are very nice especially with golden syrup.
What about deep-fried lumps of dough with jam in the middle? Doughnuts, in other words.
I've never tried a Mars Bar fritter.
It would be the fact that it's fried in the same batter as the fish that would put me off.

audere_est_facere Mar 10th, 2007 04:40 AM

Trust me waring old boy - Spam fritters were from from the nasiest thing we got - al character building don't you know.

You sometimes see them in greay spoons as per Monty Python.

This defies belief:

http://www.spam.com/fanclub/

PatrickLondon Mar 10th, 2007 06:05 AM

Good grief, a SPAM MUSEUM?!! Who'd be a conservator there?

waring Mar 10th, 2007 08:34 AM

Now, Banana fritters, that is a true delicacy...

My mother always used to top of a full English Breakfast with fried bananas...mmmmmm

flybob Mar 10th, 2007 08:54 PM

LOL Patrick