Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

UK: Coronation Street Granted Heritage Status

Feb 20th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

The original real Coronation Street that was used as a model for the initial Coronation Street in the famous British soap that has run since around 1960 i believe has been granted some kind of heritage preservation status to save it in its current form. (Not sure of title or group granting it.)
The original Coronation Street being so annointed is in Salford, a neighborhood or suburb of Manchester.
A Corrie P.S.
Recently spent a week in London and watched Corrie several times...at home on CBC we get the show in about a ten-month delay... i was shocked at how many of my favorite characters have seemingly disappeared and had trouble knowing what the several new folks were fitting into things. Huge changes...guess appealing to younger folks.
And the murder rate on Coronation Street has to exceed any street in ghetto America!
Anyway i still love the show, my favorite TV show and avidly await for its new 10-month old episode each night.
Another show i say on BBC, the Royle Family kind of shocked me as well...BBC allowing this crap on, though i actually loved the lowest lives i've ever seen in a Sit Com. Assume it does not represent British life in general, or does it?
Feb 20th, 2007, 07:49 AM

"BBC allowing this crap on"

The Royle Family is probably one of the best written sitcoms of recent times (it is nearly a decade old now I believe). The BBC show an awful lot of rubbish an awful lot of the time, The Royle Family certain isn't part of it!
Feb 20th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Accept my apology as my comments were based on one episode that seemed so tacky it would never have been put on American TV..and i plaudit the BBC for showing it and i really like it. I was mistaken in using the word crap...i was putting that in an American context...so please let me retract that!
Really that many years...i thought since i had never seen it in years of going to Britain it must be new and would surely only last a few weeks. How wrong an ephimeral impression can be.
Feb 20th, 2007, 08:24 AM

I personally can't stand the Royle family either!

At one point it was possible to do a tour of Granada studios, including Coronation Street. We took our children when they were young and they loved it. Unfortunately it is no longer open to the public but you can see into "the street" from the windows of the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry.
Feb 20th, 2007, 08:55 AM

Bob,

It's a good job you didn't see Shameless!
Feb 20th, 2007, 09:01 AM

I'm afraid to say that the Royle family is at times scarily close to real life. Well, certainly my in-laws in any case.
Feb 20th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Is the Royle Family realistic?

How long has the main scriptwriter, Caroline Ahern, spent in rehab? Does anyone really think lead actor Tomlinson (who, before his two years in jail for conspiracy to intimidate fellow-workers who didn't want to join his Marxist strike, spent four years as a member of the fascist National Front) has any handle on the real world?

To a deranged thug like Tomlinson, the Royle Family probably is reality. To most working-class Northerners, it's an offensive (and wildly inaccurate) retailing of southern middle-class myths.
Feb 20th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

BBC - Comedy Guide - The Royle FamilyAn article about The Royle Family. Information about the TV Comedy show, with a description, review, cast and crew list and transmission details.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/ar...oylefamilythe_

Wow that this is and has been a smash hit boggles me mind! Looking forward to next trip to UK to see more - apparently not on in North America.
Feb 20th, 2007, 12:06 PM

BBC Canada is showing The Royle Family - Tuesdays at 9 - they showed the series last year, too.
Feb 20th, 2007, 01:09 PM

Heritage status !!
They should knock it down and build a slum.

Muck
Feb 20th, 2007, 01:11 PM

One thing I've never worked out is whose Coronation "The Street" is named after.

The houses look to be from the mid to late 19th Century but as the Old Queen reigned from 1837-1901 they can't be named after her coronation nor that of Edward VII
Feb 20th, 2007, 01:28 PM

Sitcoms are not documentaries. The Royle family aren't any more "typical" of anybody or anything than Steptoe and Son or Delboy Trotter and his world. The brilliant thing about the Royle Family is the way everything happens as nothing happens and the inconsequential tells you everything about relationships: watch the episode where the silent neighbour suddenly takes it into his head to sing "I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen" (and stay with it till the final line), or Barbara's eyes as Denise tells you all the things she insists on having when she gets married.
Feb 20th, 2007, 01:32 PM

Oh, and did you know Coronation Street was originally going to be called "Florizel Street"? I suppose it could, had it existed, have been named for the Coronation of 1902, but perhaps the point is that it's not named for anything more specific and carrying extraneous connotations.
Feb 20th, 2007, 03:46 PM

did you see The Royal family special they did a few montsh back. It was brill and I laught and I also shed a tear at the end. You could see it leading up to what was going to happen but is was still sad.
I thought it was beautifully scripted an dthe ladt that plays Nana was great the scenes with Nana and her daughter were lovely.
to flanneruk I worked with a guy who came from Mancester and so did his wife
it use to bug him, but for a different reason. He said that was how some people were, he also said his In lwas were exactly like that we he went up to visit. He thought it was spot on for observation.
To PatrickLondon agree with your comments "The brilliant thing about the Royle Family is the way everything happens as nothing happens and the inconsequential tells you everything about relationships: watch the episode where the silent "
Feb 21st, 2007, 01:49 AM

"The houses look to be from the mid to late 19th Century but as the Old Queen reigned from 1837-1901 they can't be named after her coronation nor that of Edward VII"

I would've thought, by the style of houses, that they could have been turn of the century and so named after Edward VII. Also, it wasn't that unsusual for streets to be renamed after they were built. Either that, or the Victorian builders were harking back to Victoria's coronation, as a mark of patriotism.
Feb 21st, 2007, 04:52 AM

A quick google tells me that the street that is "coronation St" in the opening credits is actually called Ordsall Rd in Salford.

It's just by the Salford Lad's club - made famous by the Smiths album cover.
Feb 21st, 2007, 07:01 AM

In about 1996 I was in Granada studying Spanish and a fellow student was a Brit about 35. Nice guy, quiet, didn't reveal a lot about himself. Last day of class he admitted that he was a regular on Coronation Street who was being written out of the script by being sent to prison. He and his family were to spend 3 months in Granada studying Spanish. A week or so later, when his "write-out" became public, the IHT had an op-ed bemoaning his departure. Can't remember his name.
Feb 21st, 2007, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

This could fit any of several Corrie residents who've been gaoled - one of the most violent areas in the world it seems. Charlie's murder, allegedly, by Tracy the latest one.