Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

UK citizen returning from US - where are the jobs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2011, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am originally from Brighton (moved to the US when I was 20 - now 44) and have been looking into the cost of living. I'm shocked that a 1-bedroom is 550 minimum plus bills and there don't seem to be many jobs either. So I'm considering returning to a town nearby instead with a more economical cost of living.
The only other place I lived was Cowes, IOW and that's too small and too far from Brighton. I'd like to be no more than 1 hour by train. Just a nice, safe town with large parks and scenery - and jobs! I'll be looking for customer service/office clerk type work. Is there anything that fits the bill or should I just return to Brighton and try to manage? Thanks
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 03:02 AM

Australia
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 04:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"there don't seem to be many jobs either"

There aren't - anywhere. OK technically there might be, but you have 50+ people applying for every one.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 06:37 AM

North East Scotland and Inverness. Bit more than an hour from Brighton, but....
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 12:40 PM

Brighton is uber trendy so a bit more expensive. Eastbourne (don't laugh) just up the coast is where a lot of wannabe Brightonites go now. Quite a bit cheaper, quick train to Brighton, actually a really nice little town and you've got Beachy Head for a bit of open space on your doorstep.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 12:48 PM

All the jobs are in China

millions of willing provincial workers

with a BETTER work ethic than the west

Who think 50p/hour is a great wage...

Health professions and other service professions

and IT jobs are growing if u have skills there

Check the Fianacial Times web site.

Singapore is the new Switzerland to China

That is where the current growth is.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 01:00 PM

Also your age is against you. Over 40s find it very difficult to get a job, either because employers think you are over-qualified or have to pay you much larger salary than someone half your age doing the same work. Your lack of recent UK experience will be another negative.

If you can find some kind of intra-company transfer, you have advantage over US staff in that you don't need a visa to work in UK. If you network among your existing contacts, something may show up. This is the best route for relocatng to UK.

Brighton has UK HQ of American Express, the new football stadium there is sponsored by them and is one of the city's largest employers.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - some good suggestions except for Australia and Scotland! I haven't worked for a while so no networking/transfer opportunities. I did live just a few minutes from the Amex building in Brighton in my teenage years and was going to give them a shot. I know I have my work cut out for me - age & lack of recent work experience is most definately an issue.
Nona1 .. I always thought Eastbourne was a bit of a retirement town - am I wrong? Also, any promising towns along the Brighton-London rail line?
What's the current unemployment rate in Britain?
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 10:06 PM

Gosh 1travelseeker I wish you luck! You are certainly returning to the UK in very troubling times with the proposed massive cuts to services due to the austerity measures etc.

As reported on The Guardian’s website - www Guardian.co.uk - today, the official UK Labour Market statistics (Sept 2011) show the unemployment rate is 7.9%

Jobless total rises to 2.51m
• Unemployment rate at 7.9%
• Public sector employment falls by 111,000
• Claimant count rises by 20,300 in August
•Youth unemployment increases to 972,000

“Public sector job cuts imposed as part of the government's austerity drive have sent unemployment back through the 2.5m barrier, according to official figures released on Wednesday.
The Office for National Statistics said the number of people out of work rose by 80,000 in the three months to July, reaching 2.51m, mainly due to a sharp rise in youth unemployment.
Despite ministerial hopes that the private sector will be able to compensate for the squeeze on the public sector, the ONS said the May to July period had seen the sharpest rise in unemployment in two years.”

[According to the National Bureau of Statistics for Australia, unemployment rate in Australia is 5.3% (end Aug 2011)]
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 11:43 PM

Ask on this forum you may get better idea of what is involved
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 12:29 AM

Take a look at the train routes from Brighton. Loads of towns along the Brighton-London train route and within the hour or so from Brighton you specify - Burgess Hill, Haywards Heath, Crawley, Gatwick Airport, Redhill, East Croydon, Clapham Junction and London itself. Crawley and Gatwick Airport are major employers although that doesn't mean there are suitable vacancies.

Lewes and Eastbourne going East.

Worthing, Chichester and even Portsmouth going West.
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 02:37 AM

travelseeker - that's why I said don't laugh. It still has that reputation but in reality now it's filling up with priced-out young professionals. I have several friends living there.
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 04:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
your time in America might help if you can work for an american country. Danaher has a small plant there
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 06:14 AM

Amex is the largest private employer in Brighton - perhaps you could look for work in their call centre?
Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 09:20 AM

lots of jobs in Canada and North Dakota.
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 03:51 AM

Have a look at Horsham.
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I will check out that expats site. Unemployment in the US is between 9-10% so the UK at 8% is about the same. I'm aware of the towns along the Brighton-London route but I was curious if any of them might have more available jobs than Brighton. So I was really just looking for positive and helpful ideas from people already there.

As a specific reply to janisj's "You don't have professional qualifications/connections, haven't worked 'for a while', are being picky about the exact town, haven't lived there for more than 20 years, and think you'll try AMEX simply because you lived nearby as a child???
Doesn't sound at all promising. Maybe you should stay where you are since you have survived there for 24 years."

What's the judgement for? I have qualifications and previous work experience. However for about 5 years I've been recovering from a serious illness and waiting for the time that I could be self-sufficient and return home. I'm divorced and no longer have ties here so I won't take your suggestion and just stay where I am because I survived here for 24 years. I'm looking for a better quality of life than survival. Also, I'm not "being picky." The theme of my post was to find an alternate town to have a better chance of finding work as Brighton doesn't seem to have many job postings. I don't "think [I'll] try AMEX simply because [I] lived nearby as a child???" With that reasoning I would get a job at the launderette. I was just saying I knew the location of the Amex building because I'd practically lived next door and knew they employed many people. "Doesn't sound at all promising." Precisely! That's why I'm seeking out information to increase my odds.
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 05:20 PM

Janisjs

Does one really have to have professional qualifications/connections to be able to find work???

It sounds so snobby.
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 05:45 PM

Um, if it's anything like the US the call center is in Lagos or someplace in Pakistan. They don't want topay first world salaries for call centers.
Old Oct 4th, 2011, 07:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds so snobby.

Why would ANYONE hire someone who didn't have the qualifications for the work involved?

Another answer: it IS the UK, after all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -