COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

UK and Ireland Trip

Old Apr 5th, 2019, 12:14 AM
Original Poster

UK and Ireland Trip

Hi,

We are a group of 4 travelling to UK and Ireland from 25-June-2019 to 15-July-2019. We are planning to rent a car from London Heathrow and return the car to the same place on 11-July-2019. The itinerary is :

25th June Inkberrow

26th June 27th June Lake District

28th June 29th June Edinburgh

30th June 2nd July Drumnadrochit

3rd July Drymen

4th July Glassgow

5th July 6th July Belfast

7th July 8th July Dublin

9th July - 10th July Cardiff

11th July 15th July London ( Return the car in London on 11-July-2019

We will be crossing over to Northern Ireland from Cairnyan Ferry Terminal and then head to Belfast. From Belfast we will head to Dublin and then cross over to England from Rosslare to Pembroke on a ferry. Can I take the same car for the entire trip? What precautions should I take and what are the problems I will encounter?

Old Apr 5th, 2019, 12:59 AM

Well I'm sure you could find a renter who will let you do this, I'd start by asking "auto europe" as I would use a broker to get the best deal. However, I'd also look at just flying as the ferry is very dull and you waste hours on it. The UK and Ireland has loads of airports and low cost is the norm,so why wait in a ferry?

Drive Belfast to Dublin, well not much to see here, why not explore the interesting parts of the island? See also Cardiff.
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 01:25 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler View Post
Well I'm sure you could find a renter who will let you do this, I'd start by asking "auto europe" as I would use a broker to get the best deal. However, I'd also look at just flying as the ferry is very dull and you waste hours on it. The UK and Ireland has loads of airports and low cost is the norm,so why wait in a ferry? Should I return the car in Scotland and then fly to Belfast and rent another car?

Drive Belfast to Dublin, well not much to see here, why not explore the interesting parts of the island? See also Cardiff.
We are going to Cardiff to explore Bath and other areas around Cardiff. Any suggestions on changing the itinerary?
Thanks
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 03:55 AM

Yes,use ariports to dump the car and get a new one on the other side. Very simple.

Bath is not in an area around Cardiff.

Itin. Well you are trying to visit the whole of the UK and Ireland in 3 weeks (normally considered daft). I have no idea of what your interests are or what your ages are. So it is very hard to answer the question. Give me a clue and I can offer a whole load of things. There is so much to do in a couple of countries full of "history", nature, art, food, waterways, horses, bicycles, pubs, gardins, castles, festivals, music, museums etc etc

I'm not even sure if you want a car as we have splendid public transport.
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 11:23 AM

Where are you arriving from? Why Inkberrow? If you are arriving on a long flight is it really sensible to then drive to Inkberrow on the same day? Inkberrow to the Lakes is a long drive, especially if you are likely to still be jetlagged. Where in the Lakes?
Drymen is pretty close to Glasgow. Why stay there? There isn't much there. If you want to see Loch Lomond do it on the way to Glasgow and skip Drymen.
Dump the car in Glasgow and fly to Ireland. Fly back to LHR, skip Cardiff.
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 03:55 PM

>>Can I take the same car for the entire trip?<<

Yes -- but that is far from your biggest problem.

Where are you actually starting from -- certainly not Inkberrow which is not far from Worcester -- How are you getting to Inkberrow from where?

But this itinerary is very (EXTREMELY) ambitious.

25th June – Inkberrow

26- 27 June Lake District . . . Inkberrow to say Keswick is close to a 5 hour drive at the best of times - often longer. One day in the Lakes

28 - 29 June Edinburgh. . . . Keswick > Edinburgh will take probably 3.5 hours 1.5 days for Edinburgh

30 June - 2 July Drumnadrochit Edinburgh to Drumnadrochit is a 4+ hour drive with a gazillion places to stop along the way so IRL a full day.

3 July – Drymen from Drumnadrochit is a 4+ hour drive with a gazillion places to stop en route so you'll be lucky to get to Drymen before dinner (Why Drymen? )

4 July – Glassgow. - what will you do with a car in Glasgow?

5 – 6 July Belfast. It will take most of a day to get to Belfast . . . so one day in Belfast. (IF you hit everything like clockwork and there is no traffic in Glasgow you 'could' do the journey in as little as 4.5 hours)

7 - 8 July Dublin

9th July - 10th July Cardiff - this is semi-nuts -- Rosslare to Cardiff is an 6 hour journey without any stops for the Pembrokeshire coast or anything else

11th July – 15th July London ( Return the car in London on 11-July-2019

For starters -- if you truly mean just Belfast and Dublin - you don't need a car. Just fly from Glasgow to Belfast, take the train to Dublin. Fly to the UK from DUB.
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Skipping Drymen and staying at Glasgow . Thanks for the suggestion. Inkberrow is on the way to Lake District and the cheapest stay option was available at Inkberrow. Is there any way we can accommodate Cardiff?
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 10:25 AM

I can't post more right now -- heading in to town for a staycation and may not get back on til late tonight or tomorrow. But a couple of things:

>> Inkberrow is on the way to Lake District and the cheapest stay option was available at Inkberrow.<<

On the way from WHERE? What is the beginning of your trip like?

>>Skipping Drymen and staying at Glasgow<<

That little change doesn't help the rest of your plan which is IMO/IME too busy and too hectic . . . plus what do you plan on doing with the car in Glasgow? I asked "Why Drymen?" mainly because there are other lovely places to stay in the general area.
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 01:47 PM

My room won't be ready for a few minutes so just another quick comment - IMO you really need to reconsider much about your plan. You want to travel all over heck and gone, paying to take a car across the water twice, and not spending much time anywhere. Just al LOT of moving around - more moving than seeing in some places.
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 06:59 AM

In addition to the cautions you've already gotten from some VERY wise travelers on this board, consider what you'll do if the ferry is delayed or cancelled one direction or the other.

I once tried to get the ferry from somewhere in Wales over to Ireland - one person in our group REALLY wanted to go to Waterford. I made arrangements to spend the night in a very pricey B&B (the only place I could find near the ferry, in pre-internet days). I booked two pricey nights for six people (three rooms), so we'd have a place to stay the night before and the night after a LONG day of ferry riding and a frantic visit to Waterford. Of course, the weather interfered. The ferry didn't run at all that day. We opted not to hang around that area of Wales (couldn't find anything else fun to do in that area and lots of things on our wish-list to still see in Wales and England, but, of course, had to pay both nights in full for both rooms [which I completely understand; it isn't the B&B's fault the ferry can't run in bad weather]).

Flying will help you avoid anything like this.

But, I agree with the rest overall - you're simply trying to see way too many places and you won't get a good look at any of them.

I'm going to Ireland in a few weeks. We bumped it up to 12 days (10 nights). In that time, we've scheduled ourselves into lodging at 7 different places, and we still know that we're not going to be able to see and do even a fraction of things that are interesting in each area - and we're never going much north of Dublin (Tara, Newgrange), having left the northern half of the island for a separate trip another time. We know that we're going to feel as we're racing through Ireland and will need another couple of trips to re-visit and spend more time in various areas of the country.

Slow down. See less, but see it well!