Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   UH-OH, I don't look like my passport pic! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/uh-oh-i-dont-look-like-my-passport-pic-598431/)

theduchess Mar 12th, 2006 06:32 AM

UH-OH, I don't look like my passport pic!

My hair color is significantly different; my hair is longer and I now wear glasses. What's your best bet regarding whether I'll be delayed by puzzled security personnel when i go to Paris next month??

francophile03 Mar 12th, 2006 06:36 AM

Like you said you probably will get puzzled looks, but you aren't the first person this happened to.

Travelnut Mar 12th, 2006 06:36 AM

Zero.
Do you think everyone else looks the same over a 10-year period?

Robespierre Mar 12th, 2006 06:36 AM

Immigration people deal with this (and facial hair, and nose jobs, and more) a hundred times a day. Sorry, but you're not special.

theduchess Mar 12th, 2006 06:44 AM

Ahhhh, Robespierre, little do you know.....

Thanks for the replies.

Duchie

cigalechanta Mar 12th, 2006 06:45 AM

your Grace,
That is not unusual. It could be me posting this :)
Have a wonderful time and will b looking for you when you return.
:)

Robespierre Mar 12th, 2006 07:07 AM

If it pleases you to think so... :))

jules4je7 Mar 12th, 2006 07:16 AM

Robes -- Who knows, maybe TheDuchess was TheDuke before. She might be VERY special indeed. ;)

Seriously Duch, don't worry about it. If you're that worried about it, dye your hair back and get contacts. I don't know too many people who change themselves to look like their ID!

Jules

Christina Mar 12th, 2006 07:18 AM

It isn't unusual for people to change hair color and hair styles over 10 years. As for glasses, you can remove them if you want for them to look at you, you know.

theduchess Mar 12th, 2006 07:26 AM

<who knows, maybe TheDuchess was TheDuke before>

Oh my, jules, word has gotten out!

Robespierre Mar 12th, 2006 07:29 AM

Sorry, but I don't think there's anything special about the transgendered, regardless of what <i>they</i> may think...

And I'm certain that immigration officials deal with them as a matter of routine.

Andrew Mar 12th, 2006 07:30 AM

I renewed my passport last fall, but before that I used a passport with a picture that was 9 years old that no longer looks much like me. Since it was taken I lost weight and hair and gained a beard. And never once did anyone ever give my passport picture a second glance. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Andrew

Robespierre Mar 12th, 2006 07:31 AM

Although they <u>will</u> need a new passport with Frieda instead of Frederick and the other gender checked.

Intrepid1 Mar 12th, 2006 07:35 AM

Nothing will happen until you try to get back into the country..that's when the real fun will begin.

CAPH52 Mar 12th, 2006 07:39 AM

FWIW, my husband, kids and I all got new passports in January. Frankly, I don't think any of the pictures really look like us! Well, maybe my daughter's. Isn't it sort of the same as drivers license pictures?!

suze Mar 12th, 2006 08:19 AM

hair color, style, and glasses are not enough to make a difference. unless it was something surgically dramatic that has taken place, i would not be concerned.

Neopolitan Mar 12th, 2006 08:24 AM

I don't look like my passport photo either. In my case that is a VERY good thing.

AGM_Cape_Cod Mar 12th, 2006 09:09 AM

Please God tell me I don't look like my passport photo!!!

cigalechanta Mar 12th, 2006 09:14 AM

“To enter Europe, you must have a valid passport with a photograph of yourself in which you look like you are being booked on charges of soliciting sheep.”
Dave Barry quote

cigalechanta Mar 12th, 2006 09:17 AM

I was well acquainted with the gag that if you looked like your passport picture, you needed a trip. I was unprepared for the preponderance of thuglike pictures which I found in the course of processing passports.”
Frances G. Knight