Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Uffizi and/or academia (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/uffizi-and-or-academia-433605/)

pmcconnell May 20th, 2004 03:56 AM

Uffizi and/or academia

Is it worth visiting both of these. If it comes down to a choice, which one?

mamc May 20th, 2004 04:21 AM

Visit both by all means. If it comes to a choice, it depends on your interests. The Uffizi is a great collection of Renaissance art. The Academia has awesome Michelangelo sculptures, principally David and the Prisoners.

Rookie May 20th, 2004 04:24 AM

Hmmm ~ My immediate response is YES, but then again, it depends on your priorities and how much you are "into" art.

The primary draw at the Accademia is DAVID, so if you are pressed for time you can be in and out in 15 minutes or so.

The Uffizi can take 2 to 3 hours (or less if you only want to see a select few pieces and know where they are).

While not the same at all as seeing the real thing, there is a full size copy of DAVID in front of Palazzo Vecchio in the Piazza della Signoria (in front of the Uffizi).

ira May 20th, 2004 05:45 AM

Dear pm,

If you have to ask, you have been fraudulently led to believe that you have been given a liberal education.

I think it would help you to visit

http://www.arca.net/uffizi/

and

http://www.sbas.firenze.it/accademia/acca01.htm

ira May 20th, 2004 05:49 AM

PS,

In particular see

http://www.arca.net/uffizi1/artista....led+Botticelli

HowardR May 20th, 2004 05:56 AM

PS: To help you plan your 3-day itinerary, I strongly recommend you get a copy of Top 10 Tuscany, one of the DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guides. It's an invaluable resource.

elaine May 20th, 2004 06:08 AM

Hi
I have a file on Florence; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]

Are you debating between the two museums with regard to the art, or limited time, or both?

The Uffizi has gorgeous high Renaissance art, esp Michelangelo, Botticelli, others. In my experience it is a user-unfriendly museum: lots of stairs, no captions or signs to speak of, no a/c as I recall. I was glad I went but I was also glad to leave. I'll go again, but with a headache tablet in hand.

The Accademia primary draw is the first floor, where David and the Prisoners are, as mentioned. "David" is the single most moving work of art, most moving work of mankind, that I've ever seen. I think about it, I savor it, I look at my photos and books about it all the time. If I had to choose between the two museums, clearly I've indicated my choice. But that's me.
Currently, there is some scaffolding up for cleaning/repairs.

zootsi May 20th, 2004 06:26 AM

It's like comparing apples to oranges. The Uffizi is a much bigger musuem, and can easily take 1/2 a day. The Academia is smaller, easier to get in, and can be done in an hour. We did the Uffizi in the morning, had a leisurely lunch and stroll, then did the Academia around 4:00 - this worked fine for us.

Giovanna May 20th, 2004 06:37 AM

Are the Uffizi and Accademia worth visiting? It would seem so since the lines of people waiting to get in are sometimes staggering. This is why most of us make reservations for a time before we leave the US. As Ira said, if you have to ask....

Just seeing Botticeli's The Birth of Venus and Primavera made the visit to the Uffizi WORTH IT to me. Likewise seeing David is a jaw dropping experience, and Michelangelo's slaves (prisoners) are incredible.

I would suggest going to both, as most other posts have.

ThinGorjus May 20th, 2004 08:45 AM

I agree with Foodsnob.

<Is it worth visiting both of these?>

Is it worth reading a book?

Is it worth listening to an opera?

Is it worth washing your face and combing your hair?

I really don't understand the question.

Why are you going to Florence? To shop? To eat gelato?

pears43 May 20th, 2004 09:15 AM

Go to both and--if you can--make reservations before you go to save time standing in line. I emailed the Galleria Borghese in Rome before leaving NY, reserved a time and day, and it worked out fine. By the way, avoid reservation services that lead you believe you have to pay a fee to reserve. If you get into the museum's own site, you should be able to reserve for free. I don't know for sure that these particular museums take reservations, but I think someone told me that they do, and it's worth a try.

ira May 20th, 2004 09:17 AM

Hi pm,

You can find instructions on how to reserve at the Accademia and Uffizi, along with other info, at this link

Helpful Information: Italy

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34443340

adogaer May 20th, 2004 10:19 AM

Since we don't know what your hang-ups are about doing both like time, money, similar things, etc. I would suggest doing both. They can both be done in 1 day. We did Uffizi at 10:00am, had lunch at Il Latina at 12:30pm and then went to Accademia at 2:00pm and were done by 3:00pm. The previous posters have covered everything else.

crozier May 20th, 2004 02:29 PM

"While not the same at all as seeing the real thing, there is a full size copy of DAVID in front of Palazzo Vecchio"

This is the kind of statement that gives me a huge laugh. I'll bet that not one person in a thousand could tell the difference.

Anyway, no one could possibly tell you whether it's worth visiting both. Personally, I wouldn't bother with either. People who go on about how great these are are little more than sheep who parrot what other people tell them is good. Claiming to appreciate art is the currently most popular way to be a snob and justify acting superior. Ask yourself a simple question: Would you run down to local museum if they suddenly put on a Botticelli exhibit. If the answer is no, then skip the museums.

I got dragged to the Uffizi and it was OK. A couple of hours sitting on our hotel's roof top drinking wine would have been time far better.

ira May 20th, 2004 02:32 PM

>I'll bet that not one person in a thousand could tell the difference. <

>I got dragged to the Uffizi and it was OK. A couple of hours sitting on our hotel's roof top drinking wine would have been time far better.<

I've got $1000 that says you're wrong.

InMiami May 20th, 2004 02:44 PM

The Uffizi is fantastic but go with patience. The line for those without reservations was very long and moved very slowly. You can easily spend three hours waiting. I had a reservation but even that line was chaotic. Many people were trying to cut in line and everyone seemed confused and angry. By all means go, but have a sense of humor while you watch others jostle for their hit of culture.

Grasshopper May 20th, 2004 02:53 PM

I can tell the difference between the two Davids. The one at the Academia doesn't have any pigeon poop on it!

PM, my favorite museum in Florence is actually the Opera Museum, near the Duomo. It is very small, has some lovely lesser known Michaelangelo sculptures, the original doors of the Bapistry and some very cool relics.

Have a great time in Florence.

loretta1 May 20th, 2004 03:56 PM

The original David is being unveiled today after a full restoration, at the Accademia. I read of this in Conde Nast Traveler (June).

You must see both museums, in 7 hours you could see both, have a beautiful italian lunch, and walk the narrow streets. If you'd like more ideas please email me!!

Rookie May 20th, 2004 06:04 PM

Thank you crozier for exaggerating my point. However, David's backside (which isn't viewable on the copy outside the Palazzo Vecchio) is as well sculpted as his front side.

Statia May 20th, 2004 06:41 PM

And to think that I thought you were of the male gender all this time, Rookie. Guess the joke is on me, huh? :)

BTW - I agree with your perception!