Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   uaz04, I really need your advice! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/uaz04-i-really-need-your-advice-673366/)

zwho Jan 24th, 2007 11:04 AM

uaz04, I really need your advice!

Hi, I have begun sending out email inquiries to hotels and apartments. Except for Tripadvisor, I don't know where to look for reviews aqnd opinions of the places I have emailed. So my question to you is, since we're going in early May, which is still not high season,
and we will have a car, what do you think about us getting hotels, rooms or apartments as we go? We're in our mid (yuck) 50's, so I really am past the backpacking hostel phase. I want clean, safe, good locations and my own bathroom! Other then that, I'm easy to please. Do you think we can just book as we go without getting paniced, that A.
everything decent will be booked solid, and we'll have to sleep in the car, or B. We'll have to pay expensive rack rates for just showing up? My next question depends on your answer to the above. Since we're starting in Bled, and will only be staying at 2 or 3 places (at most), should we stay in Bled to visit Ljubljiana and Postonja caves, or leave the Bled hotel after that 1st night and move on a place in Ljub? Then in Istria, we know we want to see Rovinj and some of the hilltowns you mentioned and also Piran. Anywhere you can recommend we look into staying? Also, besides the name of a lodging option, where do you think is a good central base for us? Even if we just drive around and stop wherever, I'd like to atleast have an idea of the best place for a base. Last question, if we rent the car in Trieste, will we have problems taking the car out of Italy? And is border crossing any problem? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Mary

zwho Jan 24th, 2007 06:57 PM

topping, hope you see this.

zwho Jan 25th, 2007 08:44 AM

zwho Jan 25th, 2007 03:56 PM

I keep trying, I'll probably top 1 more time tonite. Hope you see this soon!

uaz04 Jan 31st, 2007 11:52 AM

Hello zwho..Mary,

Sorry you have had to wait, but I've been traveling and not online. I'll check with friends for some good Bled suggestions, and I'll send you my own ideas for Ljub and Istria...as soon as I get back to my own office.
However, in May you can always travel by the seat of your pants and still easily find nice pensiones or a lovely small hotel when and where you need them. I detest gambling, however I love to travel with no reservations or even itinerary...simply to follow nice weather and my instincts, and to trust that someone I meet during the day will point me to a place to eat or to sleep that will end up being pleasantly memorable. I think you are going to love your trip here.

zwho Jan 31st, 2007 03:30 PM

Hi, thanks for answering. I'm glad you finally saw this. Here's where we are on planning our trip. I got some help from sssteve (another fodor poster) and we are going to drive to Ljubljana from the Trieste airport. I guess there's a highway that goes right by there on the way to Bled. My husband is going to check out the map. I'm not real good at map reading. We did reserve the Emonec hotel for 2 nights and will spend the rest of Monday in Ljub and Tuesday in Bled and the surronding area. Wednesday morning we'll check out of the hotel and drive to Postonja caves and by afternoon we should be in Piran. We are going to take your advice and have the names, addresses and phone# of some places in Piran and Rovinj, but try to just stop at wherever we end up for the night. Thursday and Friday we'll just tool around Istria, go up into the hills and see as much as we can. We'll check out of wherever we end up, on Friday morning and by evening be in Trieste, where we'll spend the night. I have the name of a hotel there that sounds good. Then Saturday afternoon we'll get back to Venice by train or boat. I know we're going to try to see more then we really have the time for, but my husband has promised me that next year we can do 2 weeks just driving around Croatia, so I'll finally be able to see Plitvice Lakes and some of the Islands on the coast. Any words of wisdom , places we should not miss, or just any information that would be useful, please pass on. Getting good information on this part of the world is not an easy thing to do. Lucky, I like the researching part, but it does get frustrating, so thank you again for answering. Did you go somewhere wonderful? Mary

3bugs May 7th, 2008 07:45 AM

TO uaz04

We are in the same position as others, having been swept in by your
descriptions of Istria. BUT, I am
having no luck finding small hotels
or B & B/s available on May 13 for
three people - still suggesting we
go by the "seat of our pants" or do
you have specific suggestions??? Have been looking at Piran, Izola,
etc. Maybe there are B & B's just
not thru the net????
THANKS

zwho May 7th, 2008 09:14 AM

Hi 3bugs, Since we went a year ago (and had a fantastic time) I think I can help you. There are dozens, maybe hundreds of small zimmers or B&B's all over Croatia & Slovenia. I can't even tell you off the top of my head where we stayed, but we would drive, stop and spend a few hours, using our guide book, so we knew if there were some sites to see and not just atmosphere, (although that was great too). We would drive until late afternoon or early evening and then just drive around a town until we saw something we liked the looks of. Go in, see the room and negotiate a price and that was it. Most owners were fantastic about recommending where to eat, stroll, etc. And even where language was a problem, we figured it out. This year we decided to go to the other side of the Alps and visit Austria, Hungary and Bavaria, but we are basically sticking to our free & easy plan. Just have some addresses and phone numbers as back ups. Have fun