Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   U Prince in Prague (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/u-prince-in-prague-277522/)

Eric Dec 4th, 2002 07:39 AM

U Prince in Prague

I'm having the most difficult time in finding about this hotel. I've seen it on hotel reservation sites, but I would like a more personal review instead of what the hotel has to say. In other words, each site basically has the same things to say about the hotel. If anyone knows of the hotel (and more particular the rooms inside), I would be much appreciative in their insiight. Thanks again.

kit Dec 4th, 2002 08:52 AM

Hi, We just returned from Prague and tried to book the U Prince. It was full (due to the NATO meetings, I suspect) and so we booked the Metamorphis instead. I couldn't have been happier. The U Prince is right on the square, but looked a little touristy. There is a very large, campy fish thing/sculpture at its entrance and it just didn't feel cozy when we walked in.<BR><BR>The Metamorphis is on the other side of the square, set back from the main hub-bub by a small alley. It's in a courtyard of high-end boutiques. Very wonderful. We had room 28, which was very large and quiet. Ask for it.<BR><BR>The U Prince may be grand; I just couldn't see that from the street perspective.<BR><BR>We booked through TravelCook.com and found them to be quite responsive. Have a blast; it's a beautiful city.

esh Dec 4th, 2002 09:20 AM

I stayed one night at the U Prince. It is actually quite nice but I thought over priced I stayed in a small room with a twin bed and it was close to $300 usd. It is also in a great location, although a little touristy

Eric Dec 4th, 2002 10:45 AM

Thanks for the responses thus far. &quot;Touristy&quot; seems to be the common adjectuve here. But as I will be a tourist, I'm not too apprehensive. Especially if the location is as good as I hear. Esh, I have a reservation quote for a double room, is that what you had? If so was it terribly small? Thanks again to kit and esh and anyone else who can offer their opinion.

Spanky Dec 4th, 2002 12:21 PM

Grab the U Prince if you can get it. I did not stay there when in Prague in May, but my husband and I spent almost every evening in their restaurant/bar listening to the most amazing music and eating very, very good food. We then checked out the rooms because that's where we want to stay the next time and thought they were delightful - not small and not huge. We thought the prices very reasonable for the quality. It is near the town clock so it could be called &quot;touristy&quot; but then Prague is &quot;touristy&quot; - everyone who is a tourist goes there. I think it's a very great location. Also, check out the top of the hotel for a great nightcap or dinner. It's an outside bar/restaurant with a fabulous view of the city in evening. Did not see it during the day, but I imagine it is even better.<BR><BR>Spanky

Leslie Dec 4th, 2002 01:22 PM

I also have not stayed at the U Prince, but I did have dinner in the restaurant 3 times. The food was excellent, reasonably priced, and the music was very good too.<BR><BR>If the bathrooms (ladies room) in the restaurant are any indication of the quality of the rooms, then you should be very happy there. The public bathrooms in the restaurant are beautifully done in black marble and they were immaculate.

lynn Dec 4th, 2002 03:39 PM

Eric -<BR><BR>We'll be staying there for 6 nights over New Year's.<BR><BR>I'll post about the hotel when I return in January.<BR><BR>:)

jason Dec 6th, 2002 10:36 AM

I know two people who have stayed here altough both were off season on a &quot;deal&quot; weekend break. This is one of the few 5* hotels in the centre of town and I always query the fifth star but, apparently the service is excellent. Whether this is because there were fewer people I do not know but you are definitely paying top whack for the privilege of staying here. <BR><BR>Jason

Eric Dec 6th, 2002 04:07 PM

As a newcomer to this board, I really didn't know what to expect response-wise. However, after reading the above posts, I hope to become a regular visitor here. To all those that responded, thank you so much, you were all very helpful and generous with your comments. I can only hope that I can help others the way that all of you have helped me.

Spanky Dec 18th, 2002 12:19 PM

<BR>Eric:<BR><BR>Just wanted to remind you that if you eat outside at the U Prince, there is a 60% surcharge. I am not sure if the restaurant is even open outside in winter, but in case it is please be aware of the extra cost.

brhyde Mar 3rd, 2003 01:23 PM

I have not personally stayed at the U Prince but a friend of mine who owns and operates a small hotel in Brno another city in Czech Republic) has recommended it to me. He knows that I'm rather demanding in my hotel standards so I'll bet it's pretty good.

Rudy Mar 4th, 2003 09:03 AM

Hi Spanky,<BR><BR>What is the name of the restaurant/bar in the U Prince? We'll be staying in Prague for four nights in May. Thank you in advance.

Christina Mar 4th, 2003 09:40 AM

it is simply called the U Prince (restaurant and hotel). Regardless of surcharge, it is nice to eat outside in pleasant weather and be part of the scene. It's still reasonable in cost.