Advise on trip to swiss-italy-paris

Old Jun 26th, 2015, 01:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advise on trip to swiss-italy-paris

Hi Guys

I along with my family plan to visit sometime soon to Switzerland and thinking of adding Italy and paris to my list.
Please advise for trip of 10 to 12 days ( can extend by 2 more days) What cities to visit in swiss and how many days and can i cover north or full italy and just 2 days in paris(visit to euro disney). Also trains to be taken and places to visit.

Thanks
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 04:11 AM

Sorry - but you are trying to cover way too much territory in limited time.

First, how many days/nights do you actually have on the ground? You can;t count the day you arrive or the day you depart.

If, as I suspect you only have 9 days or so on the ground you might see a small part of Switz and perhaps visit one of hte northern Italian lakes - or Venice - for 2/3 days.

Or you could do a small part of Switz and the 2 days (3 nights) in Paris.

You should definitely fly open jaws - into Zurich and out of the final city you visit to avoid wasting a whole day getting back to where you started.

For a very basic visit to Switz I would land in Zurich, hop a train to Interlaken or one of the towns on the foothills of the Jungfrau and spend 5 nights (4 days) there. This will give you time to ascend the mountain (only on sunny days or it's a complete waste of time), hike some easy paths from the village you stay in and hop a train to take trips on Lake Thun or Brienz lake steamers to those towns and nearby villages.

You could then spend a day getting to either Italy or Paris and spend 3 n nights (2 days) there.

How well this will work depends on your family - I assume kids but the ages matter a lot. If older won't be hard as long as they have running around time - but if you have an infant or toddler you may need to modify based on his/her needs.
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 04:55 AM

Probably not worth going to Paris for only 2 days if one will be spent at Eurodisney. See Switzerland and perhaps a bit of northern Italy.
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 09:28 AM

If you have never been to Switzerland I think you will be well pleased with your visit! Some questions:

Aprox. when do you plan to start your travel? Have you made a decision as to what city you plan to fly into? Do you know what you want to see in Switzerland and Italy?

You do have enough time to visit some very wonderful locations in Switzerland and northern Italy. Depending on what you want to see in Switzerland and Italy you may be able to go to Paris, the more so with the additional 2 days. It may be a bit rushed and stressful though. It really depends on what you desire to see. You could actually spend your entire travel time in anyone of the countries. However, a sample of each can be possible and leave you with some fantastic memories!

Best wishes!
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 11:06 AM

The on eplace IME to head for in Switzerland is the fantastic Jungrrau Region which will fulfill the picture of an Alpine Wonderland perhaps etched in your minds' eyes - glacier-girdled peaks rising thousands of feet above lush cow-dotted meadows - toylike mountain trains and thrilling aerial gondolas go off in all directions- take the Jungfraujohc train to a world of sea snow and glaciers - any way smack in between Italy and Paris by train.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jung...=1600&bih=1075

Now say you add two days to make it 14:

Land in say Rome - 3 days

Train to Florence - 3 days - do one day trip to an iconic Tuscan hill town like Siena perhaps

Train to Interlaken and the Jungfrau Region - 4 days - so so much to do - lake boat rides on the two lakes bookending Interlaken is another sweet things to do there

Train to Paris - 4 days

fly home from Paris

A bit too ambitious for some and you may want to go as some suggest concentrate on Italy and Switzerland - add in Venice, drop Paris - fly home from Zurich - cutting down travel time immensely.

anyway for lots of great stuff on trains check www.ricksteves.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.seat61.com.
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 09:25 AM

"Full Italy" depends on what you mean. The so called big three: Rome, Florence, Venice needs about 10 days. Add the lakes, another 3-5 days. Tuscany, 3-7 days.
Pompeii and the AC, 3-7 days.

Paris is exciting and real, better than any fantasy place. If you are going, allow four days, plus any time for Disney.

Reality is, travel takes time.
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 09:30 AM

Reality to me is also trat travel is fun - a train ride shows the countryside and fascinating things much different than at home - travel can be travail but it is also a valuable learning expereince - i often find that the things in between the major sights - whether on foot or on a train are often as much fun as the destination itself - be it a museum or another town.