Positano - Choosing a Hotel

Old May 27th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Positano - Choosing a Hotel

Hey guys,

We are travelling to Italy in September for our honeymoon and have 5 nights in Positano.

I've been struggling choosing the right hotel for us. I've gone through literally 50 topics on this forum about hotels in Positano (so please don't refer me to search, but most of them are out of our budget.

We'd be prepared to spend up to 250 Euros a night. 9-14 September.

Basically our current choise - a nicer hotel with no view, or a more basic hotel with a nice view. Coming to a place like Positano I reckon the view is probably more important than other facilities, but would love to hear your thoughts. At the moment I'm choosing between the following:

1. Domina Home Royal Hotel - 4 stars, but reviews aren't great. Can get a room with Seaview, has swimming pool.

2. Conca D'Ora - 3 stars, nice view, small pool, reviews aren't bad, but would prefer a nicer hotel.

3. Palazzo Murat - a great hotel, but only the standard room with no view (i think it's the back of the hotel).

What are your thoughts?
Old May 27th, 2015, 02:07 PM

Have you checked these:

POSITANO: 3 STAR HOTELS---150 TO 250E FOR DOUBLE—AVERAGE 170E

1. www.villarosapositano.it Popular hotel with great views—lots of steps

2. www.hotelcaliforniapositano.it Small hotel near above—great terrace

3. www.casalbertina.it Fabulous views, but you will need good legs

4. http://www.reginellahotel.it/en/hotel/ terrific value & views—no lift
Old May 27th, 2015, 02:21 PM

We are going to Positano in September as well. We will be there for 4 nights.....beginning September 12th. We are staying at the Positano Art Hotel pasitea. It looks great and received great reviews......however I will tell you that we tried to book a couple of the above mention hotels and they are all booked. I think mine is booked as well. You must keep checking there may be people holding with free cancellation that may change their minds. But get something now with free cancellation so you have somewhere with a view to stay.
Old May 27th, 2015, 02:25 PM

The Positano art Hotel with taxes was $340. And has gone up sine I booked in April.
Old May 27th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi @bobthenavigator,

Yep, I saw your suggestions in one of the other threads - all of them are booked unfortunately.

ALso, a pool would be lovely, considering a walk to the beach is not an easy one in Positano if you want a quick swim
Old May 27th, 2015, 02:43 PM

Casa Albertina has availability for your dates with a view. There are two rates: non refundable and refundable, which is more $ but in your range. 250 euros is about $275 US right now. Good luck.
Old May 27th, 2015, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks will check.

Does anyone have anything to say about hotels I listed at the top? As it would be really nice to have a pool....
Old May 27th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

We are also used to staying at good 4 star or 5 star hotels, so Positano isn't making it easy with its prices!
Old May 27th, 2015, 03:21 PM

Please expand on your reasons for wanting a pool. Not sure when during the month you will be there but last time I was on that coast in late September, a few years ago, unheated pools were too cold to very inviting. And I was not the only one with that opinion. There are a few heated pools in the area but none even close to your price range.

Besides the cold, you will have such a short time there that you may not want to spend much time at the pool, especially a tiny pool as most of the hotels are likely to offer. The beach should be more inviting and more interesting, and the water will be warmer than an unheated pool in September.

For my money, I would choose the nicer hotel with no view from the guest room. There are views everywhere you turn along that coast, and you will likely be inside mostly during hours of darkness (I maybe wrong on that since it is your honeymoon!) A few years ago I was traveling with friends who wanted to spend a few nights in Ravello, a village known for its views.
We selected a luxury hotel in the top tier of pricing. They took a sea view but I chose the least expensive room, which had a "garden" view. I was not sorry for one minute! Every time I wanted the view I could step outside the room and enjoy it from the pool, the public areas, and from vantage points in the town. You can do the same in Positano if you go for the better hotel in a non-view room.

And remember, there are sea view rooms and there are sea view rooms. Not all have the same quality of view. I've learned this the hard way during many years of traveling in Italy and elsewhere. If you are clear on wanting the sea view, determine whether there is an unobstructed sea view with nothing between your room and the sea. Ask for a photo if possible. A few years ago I chose a sea view room in Furore, high above the Amalfi Coast. I had a sweeping sea view from my room, once I looked past the bright blue plastic roof of hte hotel restaurant below. Lesson learned. In this instance, it was not a honeymoon, not was the hotel very pricey. But make sure to ask a lot of questions before booking to avoid disappointment.

Why do you need to confine your stay to Positano? There are a number of very good options in Amalfi, Praiano, etc etc.
Old May 27th, 2015, 04:36 PM

Hi

There is the Hotel Puppetto - http://www.hotelpupetto.it/en/index.php. There isn't a pool but it's right on Fornillo Beach. If you emphasise that you're on your honeymoon you may just jag a room. Good luck...
Old May 27th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Hi @worldinabag,

have you stayed there? Looks like a good option with great views and unlike most hotel close proximity to the beach, which solves the pool problem...
Old May 27th, 2015, 07:23 PM
WWK

Hotel Pupetto has an enviable location on Fornillo Beach. But you should know that it is about a 20 minute walk - maybe a bit more - from town in Positano. So also not very close to most of the restaurants.
Old May 27th, 2015, 10:44 PM

Hotel Pupetto is a flat, very scenic walk along a coastal pathway to the Spiaggia Grande (main beach) side of Positano. It's no different to walking there from a hotel further up in the village - in fact it's actually better as there is no slope and very few stairs.
If the Pupetto is available I would grab it. I spend a fair bit of time on Fornillo Beach and this hotel always looks appealing - and I can verify its beach bar makes the *best* cocktails.
Old May 27th, 2015, 10:55 PM

"have you stayed there?"

Unfortunately not! If the online booking system shows that there are no rooms I would still email the hotel. Sometimes the booking engine doesn't match reality or sometimes the owner can work miracles
Old May 28th, 2015, 01:39 AM
Original Poster

Just did that... waiting for reply
Old May 28th, 2015, 05:50 AM

We're staying at the Alcione Residence right after you based on the recommendation of a friend and great reviews. We have a suite and a terrace with sea view for E 250/night, which includes breakfast and taxes.
Old May 28th, 2015, 09:37 AM
ekc

For me a view is paramount for my stays in Positano. I love sitting on the terrace of my apartment with a cup of coffee in the morning and a glass of wine in the evening.

Have you looked at renting an apartment?

Not sure why you would need a pool, with easy access to the beach and good beach facilities.
Old May 28th, 2015, 12:44 PM

We stayed at Albergo California. It is a small hotel. There is no pool, but the views are wonderful. It is just up the road from Le Sirenuse, but so much cheaper. You can request a room with a balcony. It is the hotel that was filmed in "Under the Tuscan Sun." It is convenient to everything including the bus stop.
Old May 28th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, Pupetto is fully booked, was pretty keen on that one! So is California & Alcione...

Not much choice left.

So no one has anything to say about Domina Royal or Conca D'Ora?

Pool is only important if the beach is not in close proximity, which is why Popetto would have been perfect!
Old May 28th, 2015, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

By the way - it's still really warm in Positano mid September, right? (at least I'm hoping for that ).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -