Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   U-Bahn and S-Bahn are they as easy to use as the travel books say? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/u-bahn-and-s-bahn-are-they-as-easy-to-use-as-the-travel-books-say-257969/)

suzi Sep 14th, 2002 04:51 PM

U-Bahn and S-Bahn are they as easy to use as the travel books say?

We'll be in Munich visiting our daughter next month. All of the travel books rave about the public transportation in Munich--easy to use and convenient. However, our daughter says that even the locals don't understand the system. I'm interested in hearing the opinions of others and advice on using the U- or S-Bahns

Ben Haines Sep 14th, 2002 05:44 PM

I should say about as easy as the London tube and the Paris metro. A map is essential (but free), and often a 24 hour ticket or one week ticket is the best buy. You do have to stamp the ticket in a machine on first use, but that is not rocket science, and Bavarians are helpful. The same day or week ticket covers trams too, and naturally they give the best views of the city. If your daughter will tell you, and you us, what the problem is we can see whether we know a way round it. I am seldom in Munich, but in Berlin Berliners use the well-integrated system with aplomb.<BR><BR>Welcome to Europe.

suzi Sep 14th, 2002 06:58 PM

My daughter (who does speak German) said that many people have trouble with the machines. Understanding the types of tickets in particular and being certain that you have the correct type of ticket. She is concerned about "being arrested" for not having a valid ticket. Thanks for the advice.

Ben Haines Sep 14th, 2002 09:06 PM

Thank you for that clear reply. The first thing is to get even with your daughter by finding a sales machine that has guidance notes in English: there are such machines beside the main railway station, and elsewhere in the city centre. Next, decide now whether to buy for a day or a week (there may also be cards for two or three days: I am sorry that I forget). The first time she uses the ticket she should ask for help in validating it. In stations she does this in a box on a pillar at the station entry, on a tram I think in a box on the tram. To feel safe from ?arrest? she can anytime show her ticket to any pleasant-looking woman on a train or tram and ask her: Please, is my ticket OK ? or Bitte, ist meine Fahrkart gultig ?<BR><BR>But after a day she will be advising other tourists.<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR>

notusre Sep 14th, 2002 11:27 PM

I had no problems figuring out the trains and I have limited German abilities. As for being arrested? I never saw anyone who checked tickets on the underground...wouldn't worry about that one.

suzi Sep 15th, 2002 05:27 AM

Thanks for the advice, I'll include it in the next letter to my daughter. I'm also sending her information from this site, regarding train travel. A special thanks is needed to Mr. Haines. The Night Train article you authored has a wealth of helpful information which I'll share with her. Thank you again to those who replied to my question.