My spouse and I will be spending 4 days/3 nights in Tyrol in the beginning of June, coming from Salzburg via train. We will not have a car.
We are trying to find somewhere quiet to base out of that provides easy access to Innsbruck for when we leave. Our goals for this portion of our trip are to relax and enjoy the scenery. We are moderate hikers, meaning we're in our 30s, will wear good shoes, but don't hike with equipment, and prefer 1/2 day hikes over full day hikes.
I've been scouring the many, many Austrian websites for a good base, but it seems like everywhere is a good base, so I'm having issues narrowing down to one location. Oztal and Zillertal are both mentioned as good hiking areas, but we don't want to end up in a giant resort. We would love a quiet town with a small store for obtaining food and a bit of wine or beer.
We would like to spend all three nights in the same place if possible. Can anyone point me in a general direction? Was there a particular village that stole your heart? Has anyone stayed at a pension or farm that was wonderful? Any help is appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 10 Days in Austria
- 2 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 3 How many miles is a good 'walking tour'?
- 4 Rome, Tuscany & Umbria
- 5 Pisa Central to Hotel Kinzica at late night.
- 6 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 7 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 8 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 9 Portugal
- 10 Feedback on where to go (23 Mar to 8 Apr 2018)
- 11 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 12 Lisbon neighborhoods
- 13 Christmas Markets 2017
- 14 Help With Itinerary By Train: London, Paris, Nice, Florence
- 15 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 16 Le Marche Research Help
- 17 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 18 land vs river cruise
- 19 ROMA Pass inclusions. - 3 days in Rome
- 20 Buying a motorcycle in Europe??
- 21 Tips for first trip to UK
- 22 paris to london- day trip
- 23 10 days in europe
- 24 Help/Critique Slovenia Trip
- 25 Adventureseeker returns to Italy! As glorious and detailed as before!