Typical american gift to send to France

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 04:32 PM
PatD

Typical american gift to send to France

I have a French exchange student staying with me and we are trying to think of some typical American gifts that they do not have in France, or are better here than there. Other than California wine, does anyone have some suggestions? (I know this is a France question in reverse)- what souvenirs do French people like from America?

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 04:37 PM
More info please

How old is the student and is the student a boy or girl?

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 04:43 PM
Sarah

Friends of mine who live in Paris love receiving pistachio nuts from California. You can buy a big bag at Costco and ship them over.

American college sweatshirts seem to be another popular item for younger Europeans.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 04:51 PM
mimi taylor

I try to avoid jumping in the forum when it is not a simple travel question, but I feel that the posters may be missing out on some wonderful people who are not correct in their usage of the language. Most of the friends we have made speak very little english and we speak very little French or Russian. However our letters are wonderful, trying to express ourselves with words or drawings. The haw for how does not annoy me, it is arespect they show for trying.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 04:56 PM
mimi taylor

I am sorry I don't know how I posted this on the wrong thread but I am in a cast and must have slipped typing.
sorry.....mim

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 05:30 PM
StCirq

Maple syrup, picture books with pix of American cities/regions/places, microwave popcorn, baseball caps (yes!), peanut butter, Saltines, t-shirts with American themes on them, sweatshirts with same, Beanie babies (old but tried and true), porcelaine made in the USA. Bonne chance!

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 07:07 PM
here's an idea

A scrapbook with momentos, post cards, photos and written entries about his/her visit. Something like that would mean a lot to me.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 08:00 PM
Chris

JELLY BEANS!!! I can't get d*mn jelly beans here!! Licorice!! I want red shoestring licorice (can't get black either, and I have a feeling black would be better for French tastes.) Twizzlers!!

I can't think of anything else I miss.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 01:49 AM
wendy`

Check out St. Remy instead of Avignon as a place to sleep. We found it an aexcellent location from which to your from- great food in the town also. We just got back from Hostellerie du Vallon de Valrugues
Website: www.slh.com/valrugues/ Check it out. Questions, email

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 01:50 AM
wendy

sorry, post got messed up.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 02:45 PM
Sal

Oreo cookies (be careful how you pack them), maple syrup and pancake mix, candy bars.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 08:10 PM
Susan

I got a female friend of ours a Tiffany key chain, and she loved it. Shows it off as an American status symbol.