Two weeks of beauty at the Lac d'Annecy

Old Sep 11th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two weeks of beauty at the Lac d'Annecy

When you go on vacation in France do you like learning about history, exploring the cultural heritage of a region, visiting museums, seeing impressive monuments and discovering what is the true essence of whatever region you may be exploring? Me neither, so I assure you this report won't leave you disappointed. It has been said that everything happens for a reason but whoever said that is obviously unfamiliar with my trip reports.

Now that your expectations have been lowered come and join me, friends, as we discover some of the most stunning and awe inspiring scenery France has to offer. We'll hike through alpine pastures, swim and boat in crystal clear mountain waters, stroll through charming Savoyard villages and hamlets and I'll even take you on a thrilling bike ride at dangerous speeds down an alpine mountain. Are you ready? Then click on the link below.

http://tinyurl.com/3wovygw
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 12:49 PM

Um, this is advertising--and as such ít's not allowed on this site.
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 01:23 PM

I don't think it is advertising. On looking at FrenchMystiqueTours' profile, he does another of the 12th in Paris and the photos are not of touristy things. I loved that little house, FMT.

FrenchMystiqueTours, am bookmarking this for when I have more time to read, but your photos are really super and they make the area look very inviting.
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 01:24 PM

Nope, Underhill, this chap is a regular and, though his screen name indicates he does lead tours, he does not advertise them on this site. This matter has come up before, and if you look at his post on Any Port in a Storm, and his history on this Forum, I think you will agree he is a really valuable travel asset for the Forum.
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 01:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Really great report, FMT. I am going to have to go back and reread it all, too, since there are so many details to appreciate. Looks like you had fantastic weather the whole time. I've been promising myself for years to go and see the Annecy fireworks, and you have certainly convinced me.

I don't know what you're on about, Underhill. There is absolutely nothing for sale in that report. I certainly hope that you are not worried about the link for the accommodations, because I see about 50 of those links here every day.
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 01:39 PM

Great job FMT, and thank you for another of your excellent reports.

I took a look at your beautiful pictures for now and will come back to read the narrative that goes with them when I have time later tonight with a single malt by my side.

M
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 03:56 PM

Just WOW!!
We'll be in Annecy later this week and can't wait to see this splendid countryside for ourselves.
Thanks for the wonderful photos and your help with our driving route.
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 08:06 PM

You are crazy!!! What did your wife say after she saw the videos?

Thank you what a great trip report. The pictures are so beautiful, you have captured the France I love so much!
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 10:39 PM

As everyone else, FMT, I am **loving** your photos after a brief look-through. I'll take some time later today to enjoy them in detail!

I keep putting off a day-trip to Annecy from Montreux because it's such a long day (90 minutes on the train to Geneva, then 90 minutes on a bus . . .). Maybe I'll get it done during my visit this Sep!

I do have a question, though. I gave up my car when I moved to Germany in 2008 -- for personal & climate change reasons. I've found that public transport in France is pretty spotty. How is it around Lac d'Annecy? Are the towns in your report easy to get to by bus/train or even by bike? I'd love to visit some of the smaller towns & villages you show here.

Thanks!

s
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 11:55 PM

Another great great great report. Loved the fireworks photos. Also, "I don't care" either about the history of chateaux. Let's start a club. Congratulations on the new bike.
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for reading everybody. I really appreciate all your lovely comments and compliments.

cafegoddess - The Mrs. still gets a knot in her stomach every time she watches those videos.

swandav20000 - There is a shuttle boat that serves all the towns on the lake but I don't know if it operates in the winter, though I was told the lake doesn't freeze in the winter so it is possible. There are also buses from Annecy that serve all the nearby towns though without knowing which village you wanted to get to I couldn't tell you if there is bus service. I would guess they serve most of the larger towns nearby but perhaps not the small hamlets, or at last not regularly. If you contact the tourist office in Annecy, or check their official website, you should find info about bus schedules. You can also google using a phrase such as "horaires de bus annecy (enter your town)" and you should get results. I just googled using that phrase and entered the town Thônes and here's a bus schedule I found, though it may be outdated:

http://www.talentueux-clients.com/do...us-crolard.pdf

You can certainly get around by bike in this region, as I have demonstrated, but you may want to check the terrain on any planned ride since it is the mountains after all. The bike trail on the western side of the lake is certainly easy to pedal though.

coquelicot - So you are back in the Mayenne again? If you happen to be in the Paris region during one of your visits to France I certainly hope you will drop me a line so we can meet up.

TDudette, nukesafe and kerouac - Thank you for your support.

Mathieu - It's a rather long report so perhaps you might need two single malts by your side.

MaineGG - You are going to love your visit to this region and since I was really in the mood for relaxation and not exploring I left a lot more for you to discover.
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 04:52 AM

Great report - thank you. I also have a spouse who thinks speeding down mountains on two tiny little tires is a fun thing to do - I will have to show him your videos!
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 07:28 AM

FMT, thank you so much for your valuable assistance for my own trip. I had a great (but too short) time there. I wish I had been able to stay two weeks like yourself!
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 08:20 AM

Breathtaking photos, FMT. Have to settle down to read the blog. Thanks so much for sharing. Never knew Lake Annecy was so picturesque.
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 08:25 AM

ahhh, thanks so much. Yup, Thônes was one town I wanted to see in person, after seeing your photos.

I'll try to make it for a day-trip from Montreux, and visit the TI as you suggest. They may be able to tell me enough so that I can see if the transport would warrant a longer stay.

Great stuff!

s
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 11:45 AM

The boat schedules is at http://www.annecy-croisieres.com/en/...y-cruises.html

The Annecy city itself is served by SIBRA bus http://www.sibra.fr/

For further around, I think it is served by Crolard http://www.voyages-crolard.com/index.aspx?cp=EN . I did not take the Crolad bus, but I saw one stopped near the city hall in Talloires last month.

The bus around the lake are set to school and work commuting schedules.

It is a beautiful place without noticeable presence of non French speaking visitors.
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 01:11 PM

Wonderful report! I saw it on Port last night and stayed up way too late reading it, and following part of your trip on Google street view and then checking out hotels I saw along the way, etc. A dream trip, that's for sure.
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 01:41 PM

Fabulous photos, FMT. Have to settle down to read the blog. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm trying to figure out how to add this area to my trip next year.
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like Cynthia_Booker last night, I am in danger of staying up too late reading the rest of your report. Beautiful photos, and I know when I dig in and read the whole thing at leisure that I will be rewarded with great information--and at least a few laughs.

Thanks, FMT!
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 09:26 PM

wow, thanks so much Greg! Those sites will be very handy!

s

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -