Two weeks in Italy - September 2020

Old Sep 29th, 2020, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two weeks in Italy - September 2020

Just want to thank raincitygirl and Jean for their help with advising us - mainly on art and food in Florence, really appreciated! This is a small write up on a glorious fortnight in Italy.

We had a fab time, three nights in Rome, mainly taking in the churches, wonderful art. Food was a bit disappointing as our favourite restaurant was closed (only due to open the day we left) and, with it being hot, the usually lovely lamb stew at Da Augusto in Trastevere was not as appreciated as usual, it was very hot in Rome! The good news is we stayed at a great hotel! Then we hired a car from Fiumicino Airport and drove to Tuscania where we stayed for three nights. Took in the Etruscan Museum there (set in an atmospheric ex convent), also the two lovely Basilicas there, with great features, arguably built about the 11th Century, very unusual. Also visited the Etruscan tombs in Tarquinia and ate some great Maremma beef there, Tarquinia has a delightful museum but we didn't fit it in this time, great food in Tuscania too.

Two nights in Orvieto, we stayed near the Duomo, have you ever been there? It is amazing. Also visited an Etruscan well there, great food and wine, really enjoyed Orvieto, have been there before. We took in Chiusi on our way to Arezzo (to visit Porsenna's Labyrinth (Etruscan)) and had a fab lunch there, we ate well - gnudi with spinach and ricotta for my daughter, and I had meatballs and potato. We slept in Arezzo that night and stayed for another night. Arezzo was a highlight, great church art, and a lovely town, good food - and wine - too!

On to Bagno a Ripoli, seven kms outside Florence - we totally immersed ourselves in the great art of Florence for those 3 days, overwhelming. As we have been there many times before, we saw different things this time: Palazzo Medici Ricardi with its glorious Chapel of the Magi, Museo dell'Opera del Duomo (incredible), the Baptistery, with its beautiful mosaics, we revisited the Basilica di San Lorenzo, the Basilica di Santo Spirito with so many excellent artists I'd not heard of before and plan to explore further. Also the wonderful Museo di San Marco and lastly the Chiesa di San Miniato al Monte - thanks Jean for all the suggestions, invaluable! While also fitting in some excellent eating and sampling lovely wines - a fabulous three days in Florence.

Two nights in Certaldo (central to the wine drinking areas) where we sampled some good Chianti and Brunello di Montalcino. Left there early on our final day to reach Cerveteri where we first ate - tuna tartare and Australian wagyu beef (there was a huge crowd of Italians there, certainly a good enough recommendation in my book!). Finally spent a glorious afternoon at the Cerveteri Necropolis, it was amazing. Very different to that of Tarquinia but both excellent in their own right. (we passed Vulci on our way but didn't have the time to stop - next time!)

Slept our final night in Fiumicino, six kms from the airport where we ate delicious fish and lemon cream and tagliolini with shrimps and lemon. Great time!
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 08:25 AM

Sounds like a fantastic trip, glad someone is able to travel to Italy this year! I am waiting patiently for the vaccine and then I'm on the first plane.
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 08:20 PM

Sounds great. Will you share the names of your hotels?