Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Two Weeks in Ireland: B&B Voucher Route or 2 Apartments?

Jan 23rd, 2002, 02:27 PM
Jane

We will be going to Ireland for two weeks in July. This will be our first trip there. Normally, when we travel in England or Switzerland we pick out a home base, rent an apartment and make day trips.

Because we hear it takes time to travel from one area to another because Irish roads are narrow and winding, which would be the best strategy: 1) rent a car and use vouchers to saty at bed and breakfast inns along the way or 2) rent two apartments - one each week - and concentrate our travels in two general areas.

We really like hiking and one of the places we would like to visit is the Dingle Peninsula. It also seems the area north of Galway has many nice hiking possibilities. Wicklow, near Dublin has also been recommended.

On the other hand, we may not get back to Ireland in awhile and I hear that Northern Ireland is also very beautiful - but it takes time to include it in any itinerary. If we want to see all these places we would have to be mobile rather than fixed.

I would love to get an opinion from the people on this site - you are always so helpful.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 02:39 PM
Nancy

First, do not get vouchers for B&Bs. Not all places accept them as the owner has to give comission to the travel agent. There are plenty available along the way for you to choose. We have our favorite places to stay so make reservations ahead of time, it's half the fun of planning. We have been to Dingle twice, you will love it as well as Connemara, north of Galway. The highways are great, it's when you go off the beaten track that some roads are narrow.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:09 PM
Dottie

I have not yet been to Ireland but am planning our trip now. We do have vouchers for B&B's and I have been emailing for reservations and have not had any trouble with anyone accepting them except for the B&B's in Dublin. Most of the B&B's in Dublin do not accept vouchers. However, you can stay at any B&B without vouchers. Call Irish Tour,s at 1-800-223-6470 and request a book.

Jan 24th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Betsy

I, and a couple of friends are also planning a trip to Ireland for the beginning of April for a week. Anyone ever rent a timeshare there? County Cottages, a company in Florida, offers packages that include a timeshare. The idea is appealing to us in that we could rent in a central location and make day trips. Anyone ever work with them or a similar company?

Jan 25th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Dan

I went on the voucher plan when I went in 1997 through Lynott Tours (www.lynotttours.com). I liked having the conveinece os the vouchers and a list of B&b's which were really nice. Most B&B's do not take credit cards, so I avoided going to the ATM each day for cash by having the vouchers. I bought a whole package with air and car and found that overall, the price was cheeaper then putting the thing together myself.

Jan 25th, 2002, 05:41 PM
gaelen

We stayed in houses we rented by the week in Sligo, Dingle and An Rinn. I really liked the home base feeling. The prices were great and we had no trouble getting around by car. We used the irish tourist board site to search for houses, and all were in great locations and very comfortable. Start reserving now to get the best places. Dingle was my favorite. We stayed in town. I used all the fodor experts for advice on activities and they were exactly right.

Feb 8th, 2002, 06:48 AM
sister

Nancy--what's your beef? Usually air/vouchers/car are packaged together...and the TA gets commission from the TOUR OPERATOR and not the B&B owner.

Feb 8th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Ann

I wouldn't use voucher, but then I'm a very independent traveler, and don't like to have any limitations on me. Other people like the voucher system, and it works well for them

Jane, I would suggest maybe a week in the North and the a week in the Republic. I've lived in Northern Ireland and absolutely love it up there. It's much less touristy than the south, and so it's easier to get a glimpse of what life is really like. Of course, now I'm about to suggest that you base yourself in the Republic for a week in the North. I think that County Donegal is one of the most beautiful spots on the planet, particularly the Inishowen Penisula and Malin Head. However, you have to balance this beauty with the fact that it's not particularly convenient to get to, or to get to other places from there.

So my other suggestion would be to base yourself somewhere around the Irish sea, like Portrush. Here, you could drive to Belfast for the day, do the Antrim Coast Road (Carrick-a-Rede bridge, Giant's Causeway, Dunluce Castle, etc.), vist the Bushmills Distillery, spend a day in Derry, drive through the Glens of Antrim, visit Glenariff Forest Park, spend a day in the Mourne Mountains (Silent Valley, Slieve Donard), and still be a reasonable drive from Donegal.

Of course, now I that I've read your message again, I see that you're traveling during the first two weeks of July. If you're going to the north, go during the first week of July. Otherwise, I would suggest spending all of your time in the south. July 12 is the biggest day of the marching season, when the Orange Men celebrate victory over the Catholics back in 1690. There are huge parades, and sometimes some trouble. Streets are blocked off and it can be hard to get around. It's the only time of year I would suggest staying out of the north.

Feb 8th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Ann

Correction: Portrush is on the Atlantic Ocean, not the Irish Sea.

Feb 8th, 2002, 08:25 AM
mikey

Sister,

Nancy's beef is correct. B&B owners do not get full price since they get the advertising from the B$&B voucher association. Also they do not get the money up front and have to wait for the processing delay when they turn in their vouchers for payment. Also during the high season many B&B owners will say their full if you tell them you have vouchers knowing that a cash customer will most likely come in later. For that reason, I don't recommend vouchers in the high season since the better places tend to get filled up fast and not all accept vouchers.

Feb 8th, 2002, 08:42 AM
sister

I see...vouchers are a pain in the a** for some of the associates.Advise well taken! Thanks Mike. I never thought of it that way before . You have made some very valid points (as well as others on this post).