Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Two weeks in Germany (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/two-weeks-in-germany-380983/)

Callum Dec 7th, 2003 02:58 AM

Two weeks in Germany

I'm planning to spend two weeks in Germany next summer, and wondered if anyone had any suggested itineraries they might like to share? I'm likely to spend three or four nights in Berlin, and I'd like to see Munich, but where else should I see? Is it easy to get about Germany by rail, or are internal flights better value for money?
Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Callum
Edinburgh, Scotland.

celticdreams Dec 7th, 2003 03:43 AM

What do you want to do while you're there? Museums? Outdoor stuff? Bar-hopping?

CharlieB Dec 7th, 2003 04:24 AM

Callum - I agree with Celticdreams- give us somemore input as to your likes and dislikes and we will be happy to help. Are big cities to your liking or are you more into smaller towns, rural areas, or scenic vistas. You might start your research by surfing the German National Tourist website at "www.germany-tourism.de" and then come back to us for specific advise. I agree that both Berlin & Munich are "must sees" for any in-depth visit to Germany. As for German rail, you will find it efficient and easy to use. If you will not be driving, definitely use the rail for any trips under 4 hours. Awaiting your reply.

Wayne Dec 7th, 2003 09:28 AM

Get a guidebook and learn some facts for yourself, then ask more specific questions. Good luck.

joegri Dec 7th, 2003 06:15 PM

Callum: Not to be curt, but search on Germany in the search box at the top of this page and you will get many threads about Germany which will help you start to think of what you want to do or at least help you postulate your questions. Good luck.

chip Dec 12th, 2003 05:48 AM

We spent 3 weeks driving around Germany (popped into Austria, Italy, France, and Luxemburg) and it was easy to get around driving on our own (sorry no train experience...drive, you see more and more freedom and flexibility with itinerary!).
We flew into Frankfurt and out of Hamburg.
Highlights I would suggest include:
*3 days-Rhine & Mosel(personal favorite) area,
*4 days-Romantic road: Rothenburg, Munich, Ludwig's Castles
*3 days-side trip to Salzburg (loved) and Berchtesgaden.
*2-3 days-Berlin (we stayed in Regensburg which is just north of Munich, and we were able to drive to Berlin in a day with a stop to tour Dresden).
This gives you a day or two extra.

For a different view, the often ignored North is also beautiful. The drive from Berlin to Kiel was interesting and the areas near the Baltic and North Seas have a lot to offer (they have castles and beautiful churches too!)

SAnParis Dec 12th, 2003 05:53 AM

Since your going to be in the neighborhood I might try to fit Prague in. I'm not a big Berlin fan, I would probably spend more time on the Rhein & Mosel.

MMN Dec 29th, 2003 11:32 AM

We toured for 10 days & included 2 nights in Berlin. We found that to more than enough - unless you really want to explore the museums, etc. We were happy with the bus tour around the city one day & the 2nd day to explore a little more in depth.
Personally, we found the small towns more appealling - so it depends on your tastes.

Munich was beautiful for a large city - lots of neat stuff, nice open spaces, and VERY clean.

Rhine was gorgeous!!!! especially in summer/fall. Definitely include this if you can.

Romantic Road was a road....some of the towns are cute but we took the highway btwn some to save time - a German cousin advised us to do this & we were happy with it. We stopped at Rothenburg which was an enchanting town. Agree with a lot of others...stay the night or don't bother...more romantic & appealing when quiet.

Would try to include a few days either in Berchtesgaden as suggested or on the SouthWestern side by Insel Mainau - supposed to be incredible around May/June.

rhkkmk Dec 29th, 2003 07:52 PM

i just had 20 days in germany...we started in berlin...four days might be too much...we flew on the 7:30pm flight from berlin to munich--deubsch BA airline...cheap and good...picked up a car there...
we visited dresden which is very nice indeed...you could drive from berlin south to dresden and on to munich with a stop in prague and salzburg austria and home from munich....that would be a great trip for 2 weeks...

we also visited the mosel which is lovely

jmw Dec 30th, 2003 05:03 AM

If you can stand some more suggestions, I'd like to suggest the Mosel, then Rothenburg, Munich, Berchtesgaden (day-trip by train to Salzburg), Fussen, then Bodensee (Lindau, Meersburg, or Uberlingen), maybe Triberg in the Black Forest. I'm out of control. Pick and choose. Do image searches at Alta Vista. j

quebec Jan 23rd, 2004 11:51 AM

I would also check out the Baden-Wurtenberg area. I really enjoyed Freiburg, Heidelberg and Baden-Baden.