Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Two weeks in France (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/two-weeks-in-france-890755/)

houston2001 May 14th, 2011 12:35 PM

Two weeks in France

My fiancée and I will be in France in late August/early September this year. We plan on spending the second week in Paris and the first week traveling in France. We have 2 possible itineraries for the first week - Champagne and Burgundy regions and Loire Valley or Normandy and Loire Valley with a quick trip to the Champagne region. I am interested in the following:
1) Any comments on the two itineraries.
2) Using trains solely vs. auto rental for travel outside Paris
3) Museum pass in Paris vs. individual museum tickets
4) B & Bs in Reims, Burgundy region and Loire Vally
5) Apartment rental agencies in Paris
6) Burgundy wineries worth visiting

Christina May 14th, 2011 01:14 PM

That's a lot of topics, you might want to post separately on some of them (eg, wineries which don't really matter until you finalize your itinerary). Paris apt rental agencies is also a topic on its own. There is a thread on here with people posting recommendations, I think that would serve you on that topic. There are probably at least 6-10 that are used frequently.

The museum pass issue is just economics and depends on how much you think you will go to museums, I'd say. If you don't go more than once a day, I don't see how it could make economic sense. They are very expensive and also must be used on consecutive days, so you can't buy a three day one to use every other day of your trip. If you go to several a day, it makes sense. You can avoid lines with them which are only an issue at a couple places.

If you solely use trains outside Paris, you obviously just miss driving around in the countryside which many people enjoy for more rural parts of their trip. But you can easily just use trains if you don't care about that and mainly want to see cities and towns of any size. YOur itinerary doesn't sound very suitable to only trains if you choose the idea of Normandy+Loire+Champagne (which I'm sure you know are in opposite directions, that sounds questionable to me--Loire+Normandy makes sense). YOU probalby want a car for Normandy, for example, Honfleur doesn't have a train station and is worth visiting. Unless by Normandy you really only mean WWII sites, which is what a lot of people mean.

aliced May 14th, 2011 02:31 PM

We have done both trips from Paris and took a rental car, very easy to navigate but you will not want a car in Paris. Both in Sept-Oct and the weather was devine.

Trip to Reins, Dijon (Hotel du Nord), Epernay where we stayed at the Royal Champagne (so worth a splurge); then down the Cote D'or (be sure to stop at Chateau du Clos de Vougeot) and down to Beaune (Marche du Vins); then west to Amboise, Chenonceaux (Hotel du Bon Laboureur was a gem), and to see Chambord.

When we went to Normandy we stayed in 3 private chateaux (through French Tourist Bureau's Bienvenue au Chateau for western France) which were fabulous and very reasonable -- in Dieppe, Caen and Mortagne-au-Perche. Very accessible to the coastal villages and of course to Mont St. Michel.

StCirq May 14th, 2011 02:44 PM

All of the places you are considering visiting outside of Paris are best seen with a car.

Gretchen May 14th, 2011 04:14 PM

As St. Cirq says, rent a car. Loire, Champagne and Burgundy seems like a lot for a week. Sounds like you are "into" wine. Choose one region and enjoy it--Loire, Burgundy. You could do a day trip from Paris to Reims, I think.
You may need to hone in on what you REALLY want. Your deal of ending in Paris is GREAT!!

Gretchen May 14th, 2011 04:16 PM

I really suggest you stay in a hotel in Paris so you can access the concierge for making reservations. I know people LOVE apartments, but sometimes you just want to relax.
Have a great time.

StCirq May 14th, 2011 07:00 PM

Yes, you could easily do a day trip from Paris to Reims on the train and satisfy your "Champagne" area wish. I also agree about a hotel, especially on a honeymoon unless you speak French and know your way around the city.