Two Weeks in Europe in October

Old Feb 26th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Weeks in Europe in October

DH and I are in that exciting first stage of planning two weeks somewhere in Europe this October, and are looking for some ideas we might not have considered, perhaps less-visited areas. Haven't yet decided the exact number of days (though probably 16 ) or when in the month (I hope earlier).

We're lucky enough to have visited Europe (mostly western) quite a bit, and have been to most of the major cities and quite a few regions. We like a combination of urban and rural, history and culture, good regional food. We rent cars where it makes sense to do so. We are not beach people. We would like to go somewhere that is still warmish, not too much rain. We went to Italy last year, so that's generally lower on our list; we visited Barcelona and thereabouts recently as well, or that would have been high on the list.

We're considering either (i) Sicily (yes I KNOW it's in Italy) or (ii) Portugal and the Spanish and French Basque country. Maybe a couple of days in Malta along with Sicily? Weather sites say there are more rainy days in Sicily, but fewer inches of rain and plenty of hours of sunlight. Any first-hand comments about the weather in Sicily in October (I know, every year varies)?

Any other ideas of areas for us to consider?
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 03:07 PM

driving or training in various locales?

Driving probably best in Sicily IMO and French Basque Country - but for Spain at least from what most folks do - hit major tourist cities - trains are great as cars and cities not a good mix. For lots on trains and where to go with them- www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com,

I was in Sicily one late October and weather was fine that year - 50-60s and no rain (lucky).

16 days figure day between each country - Do no more than 3-4 bases total.
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Yes, if we went to Sicily, we would primarily rent a car. For Portugal and Spain, we'll do whatever works best for our itinerary (the one that we haven't decided on yet).
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 07:44 PM
kja

Sicily in 2 weeks is possible, but a challenge, even to see just the highlights. I would NOT try to include anywhere else WITH Sicily unless you plan to return to Sicily. JMO.

The Spanish Basque area would be chillier than I would want at that time of year; YMMV.

Have you been to Andalusia? It would fit the time of year and time frame for your travel quite well. And what about mainland Greece – Athens and the Peloponnese?
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 07:51 PM
kja

And central Spain -- Madrid, Toledo, Avila, Salamanca, etc. can also make for a delightful 2 week trip in early Oct.
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 09:00 PM

You are making an excellent choice. Europe is quite fun to visit.
Old Feb 27th, 2018, 09:11 AM

Malta however could easily be twinned with Sicily - direct ferries - fly into one and out of the other.
Old Feb 27th, 2018, 09:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Sicily [but check what weather can be expected at that time of year] or Andalucia.
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 05:04 AM

Have you considered Corsica and/or Sardinia? We spend time every fall in Europe, but almost always spend some time in our favorite Italy. We usually start north and then head to warmer southern areas. Two years ago, we started in Trieste/Verona and then moved to Puglia and then Ischia. Last year, we did northern Lakes in late September and then Sperlonga/Castellabate util mid-October. We didn't have one day of rain in a month. This year, we plan to spend some time in Italy but then go to Corsica and Sardinia. We have been to Sicily twice, both times in November, and the weather was warm and perfect both times.
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 08:47 AM

I agree with Kja about Andalucia or Madrid. We were in Madrid and Andalucia from September 18 to October 3. It was sunny and in the 80’s almost every day. In Seville temps were in the low 90’s. We had a little bit of rain in Malaga. October should be warm but not too hot.

You could do Andalucia for the 16 days, or combine Andalucia with Madrid and Toledo, which is what we did.
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 08:49 AM

We also used trains and buses. They are modern, comfortable, and very convenient.
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 09:22 AM

Yes if going to Codoba, Malaga, Granada, Seville, Jerez, etc use trains - if going just between those cities and nothing else in between. I've done that too. And yes the pain in Spain is no longer on the train!
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 09:52 AM

Have you been to Spanish Basque country? We were there last year in late September and it was warm enough that people were swimming and sunbathing. Of course who can begin to predict weather patterns these days. It's a remarkably beautiful area, though, and the food is beyond wonderful.