Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Two weeks in Annecy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/two-weeks-in-annecy-64382/)

Daniel Mar 4th, 2000 10:56 AM

Two weeks in Annecy

I will be spending two weeks in Annecy France during May and would like ideas for possible day trips around the area and possibly into Italy or Switzerland

bill Mar 4th, 2000 11:45 AM

Went to Geneva for the day, about an hour and a half. Very good trip. <BR>Burgundy and Beaune are nearby wonderful <BR>wine country. <BR>The Alsace might be a bit of a stretch for a day trip, but the area around Colmar is very nice. <BR>Have a great trip. <BR>Bill

Rex Mar 4th, 2000 12:50 PM

Not sure if this qualifies as a "day trip" - - hardly 30 km away, but Talloires, just south of Annecy, has some of the true culinary "meccas" of all of France. Strongly recommend L'Abbaye. <BR> <BR>You can make it to Chateau de Chillon and back in the same day, near Montreux. <BR> <BR>A bit touristy, but as with all things that draw a lot of people, they got that way for a good reason. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Patrick Mar 4th, 2000 02:28 PM

While we're on the subject, could someone settle the argument of how to pronounce Annecy? Is the accent on the first or second syllable? ANN - a -see, <BR>or Ann-EH-see? We'll be there for a week in September and would like to know. By the way, our main day trips planned are to go hiking at Albertville, and to go to Chamonix.

Phil Mar 4th, 2000 02:46 PM

Be sure to visit Aix-les-Bains, about 30 miles away. <BR>Worth a few days! Stay at the lake and tram into town.

Mike Murphy Mar 4th, 2000 02:54 PM

Re: Patrick's request for pronunciation of Annecy. "On-see", accent on the 1st syllable. <BR> <BR>Re: Daniel's day trip ideas. <BR>An unabashed plug for the town my SO's sister lives in, Megeve. She and her husband own La Demi Lune, an Inn/Restaurant just outside (North) of the village. I'd recommend you stop in but they may be closed. Megeve is a very old, but tres chic village. If you want more info., I'll be happy to accommodate. <BR>

Rex Mar 4th, 2000 02:59 PM

I think the accent is equal on the first and third syllables - - it does NOT rhyme with Nancy (naw-see) - - for example. More like AHN-a-SEE or (ON-a-SEE). We agree that the first syllable does NOT rhyme with the name Jan (unless you are VERY British). Much more like the syllable in John.

Michael Murphy Mar 5th, 2000 05:25 AM

Me again. Just spoke to my SO's sister, an American who has lived in Megeve (60km from Annecy) for the past 30 years , in the patios (sp) (regional dialect) of the Haute Savoie, Annecy is a two syllable word pronounced "'on-see".

Rex Mar 5th, 2000 05:50 AM

I defer to the local expertise you have so kindly provided. Indeed, unstressed syllables are readily "lost" whether in the Patois (sp?) local dialect or not. I think I studied too much poetry back in my college days, where unstressed syllables seem to take on a life of their own. Even "France" becomes a two syllable word when the meter of the poem demands it! (Fraw-suh). <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Patrick Mar 5th, 2000 06:18 AM

Daniel, sorry to have stolen your thread. However, at least you will be able to confidently pronounce your destination. Thanks everyone.

Daniel Mar 5th, 2000 07:09 AM

Who would have thought I could have started such a debate! I had heard that this was a lively place, and it truly is. I think I can now pronounce the name (as for the rest of the french words time will tell). <BR>Mike, I would love any other details you may be able to provide. <BR>Thanks again, hope to hear more <BR>

steve Mar 5th, 2000 02:27 PM

We were in Annecy this past summer for just 2 days but found it quite beautiful although quite tourist-filled. There are lots of places near which would be worth a visit-certainly the ones already mentioned. <BR>One thing we did which was quite enjoyable was to rent a boat and ride around the lake-very beautiful! <BR>Our favorite meal in France was in Annecy at the Auberge de Savoie just over the bridge from the Palais de L'Isle.

Steve Mar 6th, 2000 02:59 PM

Daniel - Advice from another Steve. We only spent one night there last May ('99), but enjoyed immensely the small chalet-like hotel we stayed at above Lake Annecy. See their site at http://www.hotel-la-cochette.com/). <BR>It was quiet, rustic, had a wonderful restaurant downstairs, and the owner recommended some good, nearby trails for day hikes. As for day trips, if you tire of the countryside, Geneva is not a long drive and is also pleasant and very international.

kim Mar 6th, 2000 03:30 PM

We spent 7 days last June about 7 miles from Annecy (on-see)at an inn in a small community called Duingt (dwa-ngh) and had a wonderful time. We were there with our two teens aged 15 and 16. We would spend time at the inn by the lake or drive into Annecy during the day and evening. We went to Geneva for a day and also drove to Mont Blanc - about one hour or a bit more by highway. Took the cable car ride up the Aguille De Midi. In Duignt there is a old railroad bed which has been paved over for bicyclists, hikers and joggers. We rented bikes and rode for several miles and had a blast. We loved Annecy and the surrounding area and would definitly go there again. If you like hiking, biking, boating you'll find it there.