Two week in France itinerary suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having trouble deciding where to go in France, so much to see! There are two of us going, mother and 20 year old daughter. Mother has been years before, but daughter's first time. We arrive in Paris on August 17 at 7 pm and leave Paris on the 31 around noon. We plan to spend a few nights in Paris, but having trouble deciding where to go after that. We were considering the Normandy area and/or French Riveria. We are interested in history and architecture. We hoped to see some quaint villages, the countryside, and castles. We also love the beach. We realize this is a lot, but hope to fit in as much as possible. Are there any other destinations in France that would better suit our interests? We were also wondering if it would be best to rent a car, take trains, or do a little of both. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 08:06 AM

I'm wondering how hot the Riviera will be - I've been several times and love it but check the temps on weatherbase and see if you would be comfortable. An alternative might be Paris, the Loire Valley (sort of castle-like chateaus) and then Normandy. I've not been to Normandy but I think there are some beach areas. Usually a car rental is suggested for the Loire Valley - then you could drive on to Normandy and return to Paris by train.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 10:29 AM

August is peak season on the Riviera, I wouldn't go all the way to Europe to go to the beach in high season. I'd forget the whole beach thing. You can surely go to a beach at home or somewhere else easier and more cheaply.

However, if you insist on the beach, I'd definitely forget the Riviera, why go there when it is the most expensive and most crowded. You could go to Dordogne which has castles and country and end up at the beaches down there, west of Marseille, which are not as crowded.

I don't know much about beaches up on the Channel, but I know they are there, so that would be a possibility (eg, Deauville). After all, D-Day was on the beaches of Normandy. Here's an article on what to do in Normandy and best beaches, sounds good.
http://www.france4families.com/Norma...ndyBeaches.htm
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 11:14 AM

I love going to beaches / resorts when I visit Europe - its nice to spend some time seeing the sights and then have some kick back time in a resort area. Yes there are many nice beaches (and in many cases really, NICER beaches in the US) but I find the experience of being at the sea-side in Europe measurably different, and more pleasant IMO than in the US. If I was on a trip of a lifetime to Europe, maybe I would skip the beach but for sun and water "babies" beach time is NOT wasted time!
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 05:05 PM

Suec1 had a good suggestion with the Paris, Loire, Normandy itinerary. After a few days in Paris you could pick up a car at Orly to the south of Paris and drive to Chartres for the cathedral. After an overnight head to the Loire perhaps staying in Amboise, Azay-le-Rideau or another town or stay in a chateau hotel like the Rochecotte. Using one of these places as a base you can explore chateaux and gardens. After the Loire drive to Normandy and use Bayeux as a base for trips to the D-Day sites and Mont St. Michel. In Normandy you could also stay in Deauville or Honfleur.

If you wanted to mix trains with driving you could take the train from Paris to Tours to visit the Loire and might be able to train from Tours to Caen in Normandy. You can pick up a car at the train stations in Tours & Caen.

Let us know what you finally decide.