Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Two UK GTGs - Edinburgh 25 Aug., London 1 Sept. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/two-uk-gtgs-edinburgh-25-aug-london-1-sept-1063310/)

janisj Jul 15th, 2015 03:05 PM

Two UK GTGs - Edinburgh 25 Aug., London 1 Sept.

Two potential GTGs:

• I arrive in Edinburgh 25 August for a quick two day visit - - jane1144 and Mr. jane1144 are there at the same time and we are thinking of meeting up on the 25th. Maybe not totally ideal since I'm probably going to be jetlagged after 3 flights and 19+ hours in transit. But being the trooper I am ;) . . . location/time not set yet but likely in the early evening.

• A few days later I hit London and will be there Aug 30 through Sept 3. Three other Fodorites' trips all intersect - elberko, gailscout, and thursdaysd are all in London at the same time. We figured the Bank Holiday weekend might not be best for organizing a GTG so we are thinking of Tuesday Sept. 1. Again - no firm plans yet.

Anyone up for fun/frivolity/gossip? :)

elberko Jul 15th, 2015 04:44 PM

Looking forward to it!

gailscout Jul 15th, 2015 07:02 PM

Sept 1 works perfect for me; I'm staying in Covent Garden. Would prefer morning brunch; lunch or tea as I'm with 4 others and dinner is already planned.

unclegus Jul 15th, 2015 10:39 PM

might be able to join you for a drink.It is week nights so can't stay long as I start work at 7.30 am.

unclegus Jul 15th, 2015 10:39 PM

sorry should say in Edinburgh

thursdaysd Jul 15th, 2015 10:44 PM

Looking forward to the London GTG! If not dinner lunch probably best for me.

Reached Europe yesterday- Potsdam via Heathrow. Avoid Heathrow!

thursdaysd Jul 15th, 2015 10:45 PM

Oh, and t hanks for starting the thread, janisj. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

julia_t Jul 15th, 2015 11:59 PM

It's a possible 'yes' for me.

Sher Jul 16th, 2015 03:55 AM

I will be in Italy. So close and yet so far.

PatrickLondon Jul 16th, 2015 10:50 AM

Looks like I'll be around.

janisj Jul 16th, 2015 06:34 PM

unclesgus: It would be great if you could join us. Since you are on-the-ground, any favorite place you recommend? Early evening, pub or bistro-ish -- we'll probably need to book early.

Patrick and julia - terrif.

I'm open to just about anywhere -- A new place or somewhere we've met up before. Any suggestions?

jamikins Jul 16th, 2015 08:43 PM

So sorry to miss this or but we will be sailing in Greece!

elberko Jul 17th, 2015 08:58 AM

Sailing in Greece seems a reasonable excuse!

I should mention that son of Elberko (an adult) is likely to attend, too.

janisj Jul 17th, 2015 09:23 AM

"we will be sailing in Greece!"

Woo Woo -- that sounds fabulous. Are you chartering or on a cruise?

jane1144 Jul 18th, 2015 11:58 AM

We're in for Edinburgh (there might be 4 of us), but only if you are up for it, Janis. I know you have a really long flight.

hetismij2 Jul 18th, 2015 12:38 PM

I'll miss you yet again. :(

I am flying into EMA on the 28th for a wedding (in Burton on Trent!) on the 29th, but fly home again on the 30th.

The 1st is our 40th wedding anniversary, and since we have nothing planned to mark it a Fodor's GTG would have been a fun way to celebrate.

janisj Jul 21st, 2015 04:47 PM

jane1144 and unclegus: I'm now scheduled to land at EDI at 4:30PM (unprotected flight up from LHR so fingers crossed). After taking the tram into town and walking to the hotel I'll probably be checked in by 5:30-ish so any time after 6PM is doable . . . assuming I'm still vertical :) . Being August and all we'll likely need to book somewhere.

Jane1144 - What part of town are you staying? -- I'm just off Princes Street so anyplace along Rose Street or in Old town would be easy.

Julia_t, Patrick, elberko, thursdaysd and gailscout (and anyone else in London Sept. 1) . . . Any time on Tuesday will work -- maybe dependent on julia's train schedule??? Any preferences?

hetismij2: We'll miss each other by 100 miles -- I'm in York on the 29th. Was going to see if I could meet up w/ Morgana, but being the Bank Holiday Saturday and I'm only there over night so might get complicated.

<B>Major Ta Da!</B> . . . I got a ticket to the (sold out) Benedict Cumberbatch Hamlet!!!!

Morgana Jul 21st, 2015 05:12 PM

Janis, would so love to have met you (have a huge respect for your advice on here) but we are away over the Bank Holiday weekend (taking our caravan to the wilds of Northumberland).
Love the way so many of you get to meet up. Have a wonderful time.

elberko Jul 22nd, 2015 04:31 AM

I have tentative plans through mid-afternoon on the 1st, so my preference is for later in the day.

gailscout Jul 22nd, 2015 09:52 AM

My preference would be about 4:30; I'll check to see if my friends have already made dinner plans. Janis - how did you get the ticket? Website? Love him��