Two Tuscan itineraries - which to choose

Old Dec 9th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Tuscan itineraries - which to choose

Planning a trip to Tuscany the end of March. I have broken Tuscany/Umbria into 3 trips by geographical areas. One itinerary would be Lucca, Siena, San Gimignano and Volterra. A second would be Orvieto, Cortona, Montepulciano, possibly Arrezzo, ending in Florence. (the third is Umbria but that will definitely be another trip).

Which would you choose and why? I am looking for smaller towns where I will feel more in touch with italian life. Not into sights so much (churches, ruins), just cute cafes, bakeries, ceramics, just walking around and looking at great scenery.
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 09:07 AM

That's a hard one and I don't think you'll go wrong with either choice. I've been to 6 of the 8 towns you mention. Why don't you look at my photos of those places and see if any place "grabs" you more than another. There are alot of other towns in this gallery but just scroll down to the towns you are considering: http://www.pbase.com/annforcier/ital...mbria&page=all
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 09:30 AM

I see another option for you. I see Cortona and Orvieto fitting with Umbria. I also see Lucca as an outlier. Why not stay near Siena and enjoy these day trips:
1. San Gim. Volterra, Monteriggioni
2. Montepulciano, Pienza, Mt. Oliveto Maggiore
3. San Quirico. Bagno Vignoni, St. Antimo, Montalcino

Orvieto can fit with any itinerary if you are driving on A-1 either direction. The above areas are my favorites in Tuscany. Good luck !
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 09:35 AM

Indeed, a hard one. As isabel said, both trips are rewarding (I know all of the towns you are mentioning). I'd probably choose the first itinerary because of the season you are traveling: S. Gimignano and Siena are so crowded much of the year - a visit by late March would give you the chance to see them (S. Gimignano in particular, where the crowds are hardly tolerable in high season) without many tourists.
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 10:19 AM

I have pretty much the same opinion as Bob, taking towns from each of your itineraries.

A number of the cities on each of the itineraries are not smaller towns, though, but instead, cities. (i.e., Lucca, Siena, Arezzo). That doesn't mean that they're not interesting or worth spending time in, though. And places the size of Siena and Lucca have more places to wander around and find cafes, etc. But if you want a smaller town, then you'll be focusing on places the size of San Gimignano. Though San Gimignano doesn't necessarily feel like a smaller town, as it fills up with so many tourists during the day.
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Isabel the pictures are wonderful! Loved the pottery in San Gim - but couldn't get those large pieces home!
i will not be driving but will be taking trains and busses. Probably flying into Rome and out of Florence.
is there any convenient way to get to Todi from Orvieto (and back)?
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 01:09 PM

How much time will you have at each base?
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 01:12 PM

That changes everything. Using public transport will limit your options. I would stay in one hub city---Florence or Siena--and day trip from there by bus or trains.
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 02:17 PM

Without a car you will be limited on visiting smaller towns. To maximize your time and visits, consider renting a car.

Without a car, stay in Florence or Siena.

For Umbria, stay in Perugia. Perugia is a great base for using trains or buses. I would be surprised if you can get to Todi from Orvieto using public transport. Visit Todi from Perugia by bus.