Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Two Sisters-in-law in Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/two-sisters-in-law-in-italy-1026058/)

IMDonehere Sep 21st, 2014 07:55 PM

Two Sisters-in-law in Italy

We have two sisters-in-law traipsing around Italy. One is 80 years old and she has been to both poles, the Amazon, Africa, China, and many other places but has never been to Italy. The other has been to Italy and Europe numerous times and her art has been greatly influenced by Italian (and Spanish) architecture. They will both stop during the day to draw and of course, visit museums major and minor. But they also love to get lost in a town and find whatever they find. They are renting apartments wherever possible.

We hope that they do not kill each other but we all have side bets on who will survive.

They started in Venice, which they both thought was the most beautiful city they have ever visited and then a two day stop in Bologna, basically just to eat. Now they are in Florence, where they hope to climb to the top of Il Duomo.

From there two days in Siena followed by two weeks in Rome. We love to linger on the Piazza del Campo in Siena and stare at the design of the stonework and imagine the Palio.

I wish they would stop sending pictures of food. We are trying to visit places we have been to, but when there is something about Italy.

adrienne Sep 21st, 2014 08:20 PM

You're so right...there is something about Italy! I'm sure they'll have a wonderful trip.

IMDonehere Sep 21st, 2014 08:40 PM

They are Adrienne. They send daily reports and neither is bruised yet.

Micheline Sep 22nd, 2014 05:25 AM

Good for them! Sounds like my kind of travel. Nice and easy and good food.

IMDonehere Sep 22nd, 2014 06:35 AM

That seems to the intent Micheline. The family has long traveled with the idea, that is better to see a few places well, than many poorly.

Dukey1 Sep 22nd, 2014 07:23 AM

I am sure they are enjoying themselves. BTW, can you define "well" for me?

NewbE Sep 22nd, 2014 07:27 AM

<can you define "well" for me?>
Synonymous with "my way", obviously.

IMDonehere Sep 22nd, 2014 07:51 AM

Well means not sick. If these questions were asked with the intent to have a true discussion, I would answer it in full.

adrienne Sep 22nd, 2014 08:22 AM

<< BTW, can you define "well" for me? >>

Traveling well means drinking lots of wine. Only 40 more minutes to go for me! ((D))

IMDonehere Sep 22nd, 2014 08:39 AM

That is but one definition, Adrienne.

IMDonehere Sep 22nd, 2014 06:51 PM

Yesterday they devoured tripe sandwiches from a street vendor in Florence and then saw a few Giottos.

kybourbon Sep 22nd, 2014 08:53 PM

I think I would travel "well" with adrienne. Cin cin!

IMDonehere Sep 23rd, 2014 10:19 AM

Today they spent most of the day in the Ufizzi and then they ate tripe again from a street vendor. I suggested they start their own site Tripe Advisor.

IMDonehere Sep 24th, 2014 08:33 AM

Today was one of SIL's birthday and when the waitwoman asked her how old she was, my SIL's Italian betrayed her and said she was 800 years old.

IMDonehere Sep 25th, 2014 10:06 AM

Today there was a storm in Florence characterized as a tornado, that closed many of the tourist attractions including Boboli.