New road user discs for Germany & Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be driving in France this summer and crossing into Germany and Switzerland at various stages. I read somewhere recently that both of these countries require new type windscreen discs to be displayed from this year. I can`t recall exactly what they are for but I think it was something to do with engine rating or carbon generation. Anyone know anything about this?
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 03:07 PM

For Switzerland you need to purchase a vignette that allows you to use limited access highways. It is possible to do without, but it is not easy as Swiss road signs do not give an alternative to the highway unlike Italian and French road signs.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 04:16 PM

The windshield sticker for Switzerland is for motorway toll as Michael said. But also in CH it is possible to avoid motorways if you follow strictly blue signs leading towards toll-free highways, never green designating routes via motorways. It's even easier when you use GPS as you can usually chose a "toll free" option from the menu. But if you plan to drive a lot in Switzerland, it can be very time-consuming to avoid the motorways.

In Germany, the sticker you mean is closer to what you expected. It designates the level of emissions of each car. You need it to drive in many (but not all) inner cities, but not for driving anywhere else. Rentals cars you rent in Germany all have that sticker. Whether or not you need it depends on your itinerary.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 06:34 PM

Cowboy1968,

I've driven all of Europe; Switzerland and Austria, where I did not have the vignette, were at times a pain because the signs are not very clear (try going over the St. Gotthard rather than using the tunnel). I recommend getting the vignette.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 07:44 PM

If you are driving a non-German rental car without environmental sticker, then you aren't allowed to drive into the exclusion zone set up by some cities. Offenders are fined 40 euro.
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 08:27 AM

Michael, I drive in Europe all the time, and I live 2hrs by car from Switzerland. While I cannot guarantee that each and every signpost in Switzerland is perfectly clear, in general there is no problem.
If OP plans to go across Switzerland, he better gets the vignette. If he plans just to go along the Southern shore of Lake Constance or around Lake Geneva, then it's a waste of money.

If you drive a non-German car without environmental sticker, and you WANT to drive in those inner cities, then you can get the sticker for €5, e.g. at any vehicle testing faciility of TÜV or Dekra. The sticker itself comes in 3 colors, depending on the emissions of the vehicle: red, yellow, green.
The environmental zones can allow all stickers, or exclude red, or red and yellow. Central Berlin, for example, allows only cars with green stickers, thus excluding a bunch of medium-age diesel cars as well as the old ones. Gas/Petrol fueled cars with catalyt converters (which is now the norm for any car built after 19xx) will always get the green sticker.
Old Mar 24th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you guys. I was aware of the motorway vignette and it was the emissions sticker I needed information on. Very helpful, thank you.