Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Two nights in Tuscany - Which towns would you choose?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After Florence, before Rome, we want to spend 2 nights in Tuscany for the atmosphere after the crowds leave. Thinking about Siena for one night. Any suggestions for the other? We won't have a car*, but don't mind taking train/bus between towns. Thanks.

*P.S. Trying to work out something with a guide, but that hasn't happened yet.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:55 PM

Rather than pack and unpack for those two nights, consider two nights in one town, maybe daytrip to smaller places? Without a car, but if you can get a guide, Siena would be good. With a guide you could spend a whole day in Siena, but then take a trip to Chianti or San Gimignano, etc.
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:21 PM

I would suggest taking the bus from Florence to San Gimignano - enjoy the evening there and then in the morning take the bus from San G. to Siena.

I did this last Sept. -- I was a little worried about the bus logistics between the three towns but it worked out fine.

I picked up a car after Siena - so not sure about the transportation to Rome.

In San G. we stayed at the Hotel Cisterna - we had a deluxe room with a balcony and a view of valley. It wasn't very expensive 120 Euro.

We spent the entire afternoon on the balcony looking out over the valley - with a bottle of wine - enjoying the fabulous views and waiting for the crowds to leave.

The balcony time was one of the best experiences of our trip.

The view was great and it was nice to rest after Florence.

Buy the bus ticket for Siena at the Info Office in the town square in San G. after you arrive- so you have the bus ticket in the morning.

Also, leave enough time in Florence to find the bus station and buy the bus ticket to San G. (Finding the bus station was a little stressful - a local helped us out.)

Good luck deciding.

Old May 24th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Socal. We might end up doing that (staying in one town both nights), but we're thinking there are two advantages of two towns: we'll be working our way south (getting closer to Rome, if only a little), and we'd also get to sample another bit of Tuscany at night.

Thanks, Davis. That sounds like a very good plan. If we stay in San G., I'll definitely check out that hotel. And thanks for the bus tips.
Old May 24th, 2006, 06:32 PM

We rented a car at the end of out time in Florence (Hertz)and spent 3 days in Tuscany (Montepulciano). We than returned our car in Orvieto, walked across the street and got on the train for about a 1 hour train ride to Rome.It worked out great. I would recommend having a car in Tuscany.
Old May 25th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Mary.
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:24 PM

Because of the good bus connections, I think it is a great idea to spend a night in San Gimignano and one in Siena.

While in San Gimignano, we were blown away by the frescos in the cathedral.
A do not miss for sure.
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Tuscan! Sounds great.
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:57 PM

You're welcome, Maire. I have a great restaurant for you, too. I had a pumpking ravioli, and we split a dish of beef, sliced, and served rare, quickly cooked with radicchio, rosemary and garlic. Oh my. Oh, and panna cotta with chocolate sauce that was so good. This is Trattoria Chiribiri. This place has been consistent for years, and not too expensive.

And Gelateria di Piazza in San Gimignano is another treat.

Have a great, great time on your trip
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, again, Tuscan. I've noted those places in the notebook I'm taking with me. Yum!
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:34 PM

Tuscan - I completely forgot about that gelato shop.

How could I!

That was the best gelato I ever had. I liked it better than the two famous places in Florence. I sought it out after reading about it so many places - and it actually lived up to the hype.

Thanks so much for reminding me! Great tip.
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:49 AM

I loved Siena, but I also loved Pienza and San Quirico, near Montepulciano. I would love to go back and base myself in one of those towns for a few nights.

But all the suggestions you received were great; you will have a fabulous time!

Tracy
Old May 26th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks,Tracy. I'm still trying to figure out our towns; Pienza and Montepulciano were 2 towns I was looking at. I hadn't heard of San Quirico--I'll research it. I'm still waiting to hear from the tour guide, too.
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:22 PM

Orvieto was mentioned, and I believe it is a good suggestion for you for one of your nights, as it is an easy train ride of about 1 hr 10 minutes into Rome. There are some nice places in the "old" hilltop town of Orvieto. I've stayed a couple of times at Palazzo Piccolomini and would not hesitate to stay there again.
Old May 26th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Simpson. I'll put that on my list to check out. I really appreciate all the great suggestions.
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:01 PM

Maire, San Quirico is a small town on the SP 146 (I believe), the same road that connects Montepulciano with Pienza. If you continue on past Pienze, San Quirico d'Orcia is about another 10 minute drive. If you base yourself in one of these towns, you could easily visit all three towns, as Pienza and San Quirico are fairly small. And the drive between the three is just gorgeous.

I never heard of San Quirico until I read MaiTaiTom's trip report on here. He spent a few weeks traveling around the Italian countryside, and his trip report is a joy to read; very funny and very informative. Its long but filled with great info. I suggest you do a search for his name to find it; its worth it!

Orvieto is in Umbria but still a wonderful town. We spent about a week in Umbria on our last trip to Italy, this past March, and loved it.

Tracy
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Tracy. That sounds wonderful, the towns and scenery - definitely will check into it.

I actually read MaiTai's report quite a while ago and enjoyed it very much. I wasn't quite "there" in my trip planning yet, so some of the details escaped me.
Old May 28th, 2006, 08:52 AM

I think Orvieto is under rated. It is a charming town with lots to keep you busy for 2 nights. The Duomo is lovely, the town compact for walking and the Etruscan ruins are very interesting. Orvieto is a short train ride from Rome so it would be very convenient. We wished we had more time to explore it.