Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Two Nights in Nice, then taking a 2 day tour to Provence?

Old Mar 1st, 2013, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

This forum has been a wonderful resource. I have a question that's not found in search.

A friend and I are traveling to France this May. 10 nights. We're starting our trip in Nice. Two nights there. Then a 2 day tour (one overnight stay) through Provence. The rest we will spend in Paris.

The tricky part is finding a tour(less than 20 people) that spans one night in Provence and includes Carrieres de Lumieres as part of the tour.

Where is the most preferable place to take the train from Nice to? TVG is preferred. We won't be driving ourselves. Perhaps there is a nicely rated tour guide we may meet in Arles? who'd be willing to drive us ~40-50miles between the sites.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Cheers!
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

To clarify when I mean Provence, meant the area around Le Baux De Provence. Where the art caves are. Towns/Villages like L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue and Fontaine-de-Vaucluse.

Unless suggested otherwise of course. If seeing the caves is too much out of our way, please suggest something more local to Nice. Only, if it can compare to those two small villages I listed.

Thanks again
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 05:53 PM

I don't know how you could possibly find someone to take you to Les Baux to see Les Carrières de Lumières, or why that would even be on your list of things you absolutely needed to see and do, but I'm guessing a very expensive private driver would be the best bet. You can buy tickets online for the "show." It's not as though there are "art caves" in the area. Some commercial enterprise has turned a cavern into a profit-making entreprise that involves illuminations of artwork. It's not like Lascaux or something. It's a commercial business designed to take money from people visiting Les Baux. Might be of interest to you or not, but don't get any high-fallutiin' ideas about it being some authentic historical site.

And you won't be able to get easily to any towns like Ile-sur-la_sorgue or Fontaine-de-Vaucluse without a car. Sorry, but for a mere two days in Provence, your plans are unrealistic.

Just stay in Nice. There is more than enough to entertain anyone there that's fun, French, and authentic.
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 06:30 PM

Are you going to be in Nice before May 23? The Grand Prix is the weekend after the 23rd and prices are much higher and rooms are scarce in the entire area.
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks StCirg. Per your recommendation we'll leave the art caves off the list. That should simplify things, I hope.

So realistically, two days to see some of the highlights of the country side... I know Lavender fields are not in full bloom in May. Any suggestions? please.

Thanks again
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we'll be staying in Nice before the 23rd. Thanks for the heads up. I do know the Cannes Film Festival will be on while we're in Nice. I checked hotel prices for that time period, and they're acceptable.
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 06:58 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Two days for Provence? It's a large area but base in Arles or Avignon, hire a driver for one day to tour countryside. You really need a week at a minimum for Provence.
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 08:21 PM

The lavender fields will not be in bloom at all in May, unless the weather suddently turns hot. The lavender generally begins to bloom by late June, although in some areas it can be a bit sooner. But May, no.

I think staying in Nice is the wisest option. There is a great deal to see in the city itself, and by train you can go to the village of Villefranche-sur Mer, the beautiful peninsula of St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat with the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild, and the large town of Antibes.

If art is one of your interests, you will find more than enough for the time you have.
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 08:41 PM

Check this blog for idea with regards to a guide
http://saintremydeprovencetourism.blogspot.fr/
It's true that 2 nights in the region is a bit short... So much to do and see.
The Carriere de Lumiere is commercial yew but a very popular spot that people enjoy and rave about. Most of the returning tourist go back to see the new show when they come back in the region.... But the quarry itself is quite and experience
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 03:16 AM

We visited Carriere de Lumiere on our trip to Provence last October. We enjoyed it and found it to be unique, creative and worth the time and money. However, we had 2 weeks in the area and had time to do so. With 2 days, I would never waste the time, so good that you dropped it.

With 2 days allotted to Provence, perhaps basing in St. Remy would work. A visit to Glanum is highly recommended.

If you don't do Provence, I would make sure to spend time in Villefranche; it's a lovely little town with a really nice beach. Try to do it on a day when there aren't cruise ships moored in harbor. A half day there, then over to Villa Ephrussi would be a grand time. Take the train, it's cheap and easy.
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 08:43 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We were in Nice last year during the Cannes Film Festival and the Monaco Grand Prix which overlapped. Be aware that Nice will packed, restaurants,especially so. I love Nice but perhaps you should spend all four days in areas of Provence west of Nice to ensure a better experience.
When the two big events ended, Nice was so much more managable.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

I was thinking that perhaps there is a cruise ship type of tour? since those folks also have a set period of time that they have on shore. A Two day tour for persons docking via a cruise ship is more time than is usually given.

Thing is the two days in Nice, two days in countryside Provence is sort of a compromise for us. I would like to see Nice, my friend more of the countryside of Provence.

We could possibly be based in Arles of Avignon for the overnight(or two nights) stay and take day trips to the countryside?