Two nights at Lake Como

Apr 30th, 2000, 09:36 AM
Gail Brown

Two nights at Lake Como

I'd like to know if this plan is feasible. My daughter and I will be in Italy for 2 weeks, flying in and out of Malpensa. I would like to spend the last 2 nights at Lake Como, with a day for vegging before going home. This will mean late afternoon/evening travel from Rome, with late arrival in Como area. The flight home leaves at 1 pm from Malpensa. It seems like Como would be the easiest place to stay, but Bellagio and Varenna appear to be the preferred locations on the lake.

Train schedules would probably work, but am wondering whether car rental from Rome, or somewhere along the way, would be preferable. Or would there be taxi service (I know it would be expensive) from Bellagio or Varenna to Malpensa. I think I saw a $100 price on taxi from Como.

Thanks very much for any suggestions.

Apr 30th, 2000, 09:44 AM
Bob

We stayed in Bellagio at end of our trip in October. We had a car and made a very easy drive to the airport the morning of departure. One suggestion if you use a car. You can drive to Bellagio by going up the east side from Como and directly in to the city or the west side and take a ferry over to Bellagio. The east side, non-ferry route is slow going and tight roads. We drove that going in. When we left for the airport we took the morning ferry over to the other side and the drive was much faster. In Bellagio we stayed at the Hotel Belvedere, a very nice hotel with views of the lake. I recommend it.

Apr 30th, 2000, 11:01 AM
Sally O'Neil

We spent the last two nights of our trip at Varenna( train from Venice), and got on the train to Milan at 8:30 in the morning- a 40 minute train ride, then caught a taxi to go downtown to see the cathedral and then a taxi to the downtown train station where we caught a train directly to Malpensa. We flew to Paris at 1:00 pm. It was easy and very enjoyable. We stayed at Albergo Olivedo in Varenna. Beautiful views from our balcony and delicious food. To get the phone and fax , do a search on Varenna or A. O. I posted it earlier.

Search this Thread