Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Two last minute Paris questions regarding museum passes and a place to eat dinner the night we arrive

Two last minute Paris questions regarding museum passes and a place to eat dinner the night we arrive

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 06:30 PM
vicki

We are a family of four, our kids are 12 and 16.

Museum pass question - If we get a museum pass, do the kids get in free? If so, do they just walk in with us and show their proof of age at the museum pass entrance or do they have to wait in the long line?

Dinner question - we'll be arriving Saturday around noon and will probably want an early dinner. We are staying at the Hotel Le Regent and will probably want to eat before most retaurants open, say 6 pm. Does anyone have any suggestions for a restaurant that is not too far away, and with a relaxing and not too uptight atmostphere. For example, if there is a place we can eat outside and order something not too exotic for the kids, that would be grat. Thanks in advance.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Sue

On my last visit in April, we had a Fodor meet and ended up eating at the Relais Odeon, just down the street from rue Dauphine, on the corner of rue de l'Ancienne Comédie and St. Germain. I got the impression that food was served all day there. We enjoyed our meal, the price was reasonable. They have a garden in the back (off an alley) where you might be able to eat. This was on a Monday when many restaurants in the area were closed, but you are right, most restaurants don't open till 7:00. If you are hungry earlier, you might try Relais Odeon.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 06:45 PM
lisa

#1: kids just walk on in, although the 16 yo may have to show proof of age (check with the museum about age of kids)
#2: Most bistros and braisseries serve food all the time - try any local bistro - informal food with french fries, omelettes, cheese sandwiches etc - my picky 9 yo had no problem. Brasseries are fun, informal and lively places to eat, and often have outdoor seating.
Lisa

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 03:50 AM
amy

Vicki: Children are free, but there are still a few quirks, such as the following:

At the War Museum and at the Picasso, your children still have to get tickets. They're free, but they have to get one. Have no idea the purpose it serves, but it's so.

At Musee d'Orsay and the Louvre, no glitches.

At l'Arc de Triomphe, the pass allows you free access to the roof. However, all of you still have to wait in line there to get the free tickets to do so.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 06:33 AM
elaine

La Bucherie, 41 rue de la Bucherie, in the 5th. About a 15 minute walk from Le Regent. Just opposite Notre Dame. This is on one of the oldest streets in Paris. The cafe has a fireplace to feel cozy around in cool weather, very good food, and excellent desserts. At lunch time they get a mix of casual drop-ins and business people. They are open for lunch, afternoon tea, and dinner. Basically continuous service from noon to midnight, so it’s a particularly good place to go to, as we did, on your day of arrival when you’re not sure if it’s breakfast, lunch, or dinner time. We ate a proper European lunch (with courses!) and therefore happily made do with purchased cheese and fruit for “dinner” in our hotel room before we collapsed for the night. La Bucherie’s phone is 01 43 54 24 52. Next door is the famous English-language bookstore Shakespeare and Co

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 06:39 AM
amy

Elaine, I remember my first meal at La Bucherie. Langustinos wrapped in cabbage. Sounds wierds, tastes like heaven. Love how the place is "inset" from the street, too.