Two days in Paris with kids

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Lina

Two days in Paris with kids

We will be two days in Paris with two boys 11 and 14. This is our first time. My goal is to get a "taste of the city". Couple of museams, Napolean headquarters, Champs Elysees(sp), Eiffel Tower, etc. Does any one has any suggestions of what would be possible in this time and too boring for the boys?
Thank you for any input.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 11:05 AM
topping

Any ideas? I am drawing a blank on this!

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 11:27 AM
StCirq

My kids are the same age, though one is a girl. Here's a list of their favorite things in Paris:

Top floor of the Musée d'Orsay
Eating lunch at the rooftop café of La Samaritaine dept. store
Shopping at FNAC and Monoprix
The Conciergerie
The Bato-bus and Bateaux-Mouches
The Cité de Science at parc La Villette (in particular the Odorama exhibit, but they're all good)
Ice cream at Berthillon
The Mosquée de Paris
Nutella crèpes
Warm goat cheese pannini
The rue Buci market and the one at the Gare Montparnasse
Paddle boats in the Bois de Boulogne
The Ferris Wheel on the Tuileries

If this is their first trip to Paris, start your trip by seeing the Paristoric movie at 11, bis rue Scribe, practically next door to the big AMEX office. There's a show every hour, and it is snot only a beautiful presentation, it will help you home in on the sights you really want to see.

Also, of course, if this is your first visit to Paris, you'll have to do the Tour Eiffel and Notre Dame and Sainte-Chapelle and maybe Montmartre as well.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 03:08 AM
Lorraine

We spent three days in Paris last October with our 8yr old daughter and 12 yr old son.
The Eiffel tower was great - your boys will love it. The Louvre was too big (they got tired and couldnt see the significance of the are) - try a smaller art gallery.
We got better value out of the Pompadore - the kids just laughed and laughed at some of the pieces of modern art - Mum and Dad loved the Picassos and Matisse.
There are so many amazing weapons at Napoleans display - the boys will be in awe.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 04:10 AM
Fred

Here's some information and advice I send to people with kids:
Kids do really well in Paris. Everything is so different. Walking the small streets, stopping in the shops, walking along and across the Seine, sitting at a cafe - they really don't get bored at all. Don't overdo the museums. There are parks where they can sail little boats that you rent (Tuileries, Luxembourg) and many carousels. Really great tip that I would do if I were taking kids of all ages: Get and read a little children's book (that I love) called "Linnea in Monet's Garden" by Christina Bjork and Lina Anderson. It's the sweetest, prettiest book. You can visit many places in Paris they talk about visiting in the book. If you have time, do what they did in the book - go to the Musee Marmottan and then to Giverney to Monet's house and gardens. The kids, and you, will love seeing all the places after reading about them and seeing pictures of them.

For little girls of all ages (OK, so I’m not PC), there’s a doll museum, Musee de la Poupee - at L’Impasse Berthaud - Metro: Rambuteau Tuesday-Sunday Tel: 01-42-72-55-90 Just a hair north of the metro station on rue de Beauborg, turn right into L’Impasse Berthaud.

Kids would enjoy a boat ride on the Seine and the Eiffel Tower. You can take to the Luxembourg Gardens and the Tuileries and rent little boats for them to sail in the ponds there. They enjoy the markets also as we all do.

There's a little place that has magic shows. It's all in French but magic is magic. They also have a little exhibit hall to look around. Musee de la Curiosite et de la Magie 11, rue St Paul Wed, Sat, Sun 2-7
For more Paris information e-mail me - [email protected]

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 06:47 AM
flo

There are great ideas in the preceding posts. My two sons, ages 13 and 15, loved Madame Tussauds (not my cup of tea), throwing frisbies in the parks, the river boats, sitting on a park bench near the Arc and watching the traffic (taking bets on which car would do what next), wearing their newly-purchased berets -- just the simple things.