Two days in Amsterdam--any ideas?

Mar 13th, 2002, 03:39 AM
Deborah

Two days in Amsterdam--any ideas?

Middle-aged school teacher (first trip to Europe)with two free days to spend in Amsterdam. Any ideas on where to stay? What to do? What not to do? I've been searching the net until my eyes hurt but would like first hand knowledge.

Mar 13th, 2002, 04:00 AM
Julie

We like the area near the Leidseplein and it is loaded with hotels--Hestia, Owl, RomerVischer, Hotel Maas. Lots of entertainers in Leidseplein at night, Peruvian bands, fireeaters, etc. Amsterdam takes some getting used to. Area by Centraal station is loaded with hippies who came in the 60's and just stayed and aged. Hardest thing ever to do in Amsterdam would be to try and be unique. You think of it, it's there and it's been done. Just have to do as the Dutch do and tolerate whatever. Obviously you'll want to do the museums--Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh. Both heavily trafficked. Walk the canals. See the Red light district--we went on a Sunday morning and the girls were open but the church was not. Rembrandtsplein. See the Portugese Synagogue and the Botanical Gardens for some attractions off the beaten path. Walk the Jordaan area. Don't expect great food. Best we had was at Zuid Zeeland and I recommend that highly, small, elegant, romantic, great service. Good Chinese restaurants--Dynasty and Manchurian. Don't like spicy food so haven't gone to Indonesian restaurants. Dutch cooking is hard to find and no good when you do.

Mar 13th, 2002, 04:23 AM
s.fowler

For me there are several "must sees" in A'dam -- The Anne Frank House, The Rijksmuseum [Rembrandt-Vermeer], the Van Gogh Museum, a canal cruise, and just walkingaround the ring canals seeing the old houses and churches.

I have some information on A'dam at Virtual Tourist: http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/.137511/1273/?s=s

Mar 13th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Sjoerd

If your trip is in April/first half of May, go and see the tulips and other flowers at Keukenhof. www.keukenhof.nl
Many first time tourists like the canal boat trip for a first impression of the city.
Don't agree with Julie when she says "don't expect great food". The trick is to move out of the tourist belt. There are many good restaurants (of virtually every nationality), but few of them are in the tourist belt of Leidseplein - Rembrandtplein - Damrak.

Mar 13th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Julie

Sjoerd, glad to hear that my food experiences in AMS do not need to be repeated if I just venture further out, but to where? Can you give some recommendations? I love the city but have found my enjoyment marred by the mediocre food experiences. Thanks.

Mar 13th, 2002, 05:07 AM
Sjoerd

Just a few restaurants from the top of my mind: Indochine at Beulingstraat, Zomers at Prinsengracht, De Kroon at Rembrandtplein (ok, in the midst of the tourist area), the Japanese restaurants in the Okura Hotel (Ferdinand Bolstraat), The Garlic Queen in Reguliersdwarsstraat, the Thai restaurant (small place, forgot the name) at Oude Zijds Voorburgwal.