Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   TWO DAYS FREE - AFTER TUSCANY BEFORE VENICE - WHAT TO DO (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/two-days-free-after-tuscany-before-venice-what-to-do-23737/)

DENISE Mar 28th, 1998 12:39 AM

TWO DAYS FREE - AFTER TUSCANY BEFORE VENICE - WHAT TO DO

WE WILL BE IN TUSCANY FOR A WEEK IN OCTOBER AND THEN ONTO VENICE. AFTER LEAVING TUSCANY WE HAVE ONE NIGHT AND TWO DAYS (WITH A CAR) BEFORE WE AR BOOKED INTO VENICE. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP WITH SOME IDEAS. CINEQUE TERRE OR LAKES DISTRICT?????? ANYTHING ELSE? THANKS IN ADVANCE
DENISE

reb Mar 29th, 1998 09:02 AM

Try the Casentino region of Tuscany, not far from Arezzo. There is a charming small hotel in Poppi. This is not a tourist area. You don't mention where you are leaving your car; Verona is a lovely city as is Vincenza (for Palladian arch).

kam Mar 29th, 1998 10:22 AM

I would vote for Verona, definitely. The city of Romeo and Juliet and a perfect walking city--2 days is just right. If there's something playing (opera) in the old Roman ampitheatre, definitely go there.

Joe Lomax Mar 29th, 1998 11:55 AM

My personal preference would be one day in Umbria, more specifically, Assisi. The talk of earthquake damage has kept tourists away, so there will be less congestion. You might consider Gubbio or if you are big on ceramics Deruta. The next day, go up the Adriatic to Ravenna. Verona is very nice, but more along the way from Ravenna is Padova which I think is just as nice.

Donna Apr 14th, 1998 07:33 AM

That time of year is perfect for Bellagio on Lake Como. The tourists are not there and you have that grand little pearl to yourselves. It is called the most beautiful city in Europe for a reason. It is in a little pocket of mild weather. You can relax by the lake. Take a walk through the village. Visit the surrounding Villas. Take a boat ride down to Como and Hydrofiol back. It's a fantastic place. Why else would Steve Wynn attempt to make a Las Vegas Hotel/Theme Park after the little place? It's special.

Boris Apr 14th, 1998 08:27 PM

I agree with Kam - go to Verona. Fantastic Roman amphitheatre and a good size to explore on foot.

Shane Rudd Apr 14th, 1998 09:35 PM

VeronaVeronaVeronaVeronaVeronaVeronaVeronaVeronaVe ronaVeronaVeronaVeronaVeronaVeronaVeronaVeronaVero naVeronaVeronaVerona. This is the only place to go.. The ampitheartre, Piazza bra, Whatch the beautiful people walking around at nigh. It is georgeous.

Marie Apr 18th, 1998 03:42 AM

Verona is the place to go
its gorgeous,.....only an hour from venice....

Barbara Apr 25th, 1998 03:46 PM

Absolutely go to Ravenna!
You'll never forget the amazing mosaics
that date as far back as the 5th century CE.

Friends of ours kept after us until we
relented and agreed to include Ravenna on
our trip to Italy in '95.
We've recommended it to everyone we know
ever since.