Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   two day itinerary help for amalfi coast! HELP! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/two-day-itinerary-help-for-amalfi-coast-help-164313/)

xxxx Feb 22nd, 2002 02:16 PM

two day itinerary help for amalfi coast! HELP!

I will have 2 1/2 days basing myself in Sorrento. I have three things I want to do which really should take an entire day.<BR><BR>1) Pompeii<BR>2) Capri and the Blue Grotto<BR>3) Amalfi bus drive with time in Positano or Ravello<BR><BR>Is there any possible way to fit these in? If not what should I skip?<BR><BR>I will arrive around 2-3 pm on the first day (coming from Siena).

Grasshopper Feb 22nd, 2002 02:18 PM

You could stop in Pompeii on the way to Sorrento. Then you can spend the first evening in Sorrento (doing the passiatia and dining and shopping.) That leaves you a day each for Capri and the Amalfi Coast.

Linda Feb 22nd, 2002 02:34 PM

Grasshopper is correct. You can probably fit Pompeii in on your way to Sorrento, spending about 3 hours there. Capri and the Blue Grotto are almost certainly a full day, though, if all you are doing is the Blue Grotto you can do it in 1/2 day. The Amalfi Coast will most certainly be a full day, depending on how much time you spend in Positano.

xxx Feb 22nd, 2002 03:43 PM

Thanks for the help! I considered the itinerary you both mentioned but didn't know if two - three hours in Pompeii would be sufficient.<BR>If I get out the train linking Naples and Sorrento I would not need to walk for to the ruins would I?<BR>If I purchase a ticket from Naples to Sorrento could I just stop off for a few hours and hop back on the train or would I need to get point to point tickets from Naples to Pomp. / Pomp. to Sorrento?

Geoff Feb 22nd, 2002 03:43 PM

Another vote for Pompeii on the way into Sorrento. If you would have arrived in Sorrento at 2, then you could make Pompeii by 1, take the 2 hr tour, and be in Sorrento by 3:30/4:00.<BR><BR>One thing though, although the Blue Grotto is interesting, I'm not sure it's really worth the trip. I would spend more time in Capri itself. In fact, if you have time, go to Capri for the night that last night, and leave from Capri to Naples or where every you are going to. Capri at night is the best time.

xxx Feb 22nd, 2002 03:54 PM

Thanks for the tip Geoff, but one problem - I am on a whirlwind tour of Italy. With three nights in Sorrento and the last two nights in Rome. I have never been to Rome and have much to see in a day and a half. Since we arrive in Rome from Sorrento in the early afternoon I didn't want to cut off another hour or two in Rome by coming from Capri that last night. I did think of that plan you mentioned but figured I would cut into that half day in Rome too much. Any thoughts? Also I will arrive in Rome on Monday after easter so a lot of things might be closed which would leave me to dart around town on my last day in Rome to see everything.

ttt Feb 22nd, 2002 05:14 PM

tt

Geoff Feb 22nd, 2002 05:33 PM

The time to take the hydorfoil from Capri to Naples vs. the Circumvesuviana from Sorrento is not that great. For the extra time spent you get all that extra time in Capri. Look into the time schedules, it's not that big a difference.

xxx Feb 22nd, 2002 05:53 PM

Geoff - I began thinking just that and now I am looking for a place to stay on Capri. Could you please tell me where to stay ( not necessarily hotel, etc ) but Capri or Anacapri? Is it difficult to stay at one or the other?<BR>THANKYOU SO MUCH AGAIN!

ttt Feb 22nd, 2002 07:18 PM

ttt

L Feb 22nd, 2002 08:40 PM

I would not spend the time and $$$ to visit the blue grotto..I think it's a rip off. You wait for well over an hour to go in a row boat that takes you in the grotto for about 2 minutes then back out! I expected to much perhaps..<BR><BR>The bus trip is very scary... The ones I saw were double deckers leaning at every curves by the side of the cliff. I took the public transportation in Capri and thought I was going to die! They fit as many people as they can into this tiny bus and I was right by the glass door. Although the view was amazing, if you're scared of hights please avoid it.<BR><BR>I may sound negative, but the Amalfi Coast and Capri are still my favourite places in the world!