Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Two Bases in Sicily and where to fit in Malta (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/two-bases-in-sicily-and-where-to-fit-in-malta-1030040/)

AMV Nov 13th, 2014 02:31 PM

Two Bases in Sicily and where to fit in Malta

Greetings Once More. I tried asking this on another forum but have not received any response yet. We are making a first trip to Sicily and Malta this May. In Sicily would like to have only two bases if possible, with Siracusa/Oritigia being one of them. Definitely interested in the Greek ruins, beautiful views and historical sites. Don't need beaches or resorts and are not that focused on the Baroque. Considering concentrating more on the south and eastern coasts for this trip. What would you suggest as a second "base"? Also, does it make any difference whether we visit Malta for a few nights in the middle of our holiday or is it better to add it to the beginning or end of trip? Flights have already been booked. Thanks in advance.

adrienne Nov 13th, 2014 02:58 PM

Since you're interested in ruins you should definitely go to Agrigento.

Malta needs more than a "few" nights. At least a week would be a good amount of time there. I would put Malta at the beginning of the trip and use the first day for transit. Then come back to Sicily for the remainder of the time.

bobthenavigator Nov 13th, 2014 04:02 PM

Am I missing something?
How much time do you have?

kja Nov 13th, 2014 04:53 PM

It is difficult to see Sicily with just 2 bases (it is far too large); how much you can see depends on how long you have and your preferred pace of travel. IMO, Ortygia is an excellent choice for a base on the eastern part of the island. Given your stated interests, I agree with adrienne that Agrigento is good choice. Palermo would make a great 3rd base. Unless you have at least 3 weeks or more), I think it would be difficult to find Malta in. But of course, it all depends on what you want to see and experience, and for that, you would do well to spend some time with quality guidebooks.

Sicily is wonderful in May - enjoy!

Ian Nov 13th, 2014 07:01 PM

Where are you flying into & out from? Are you renting a car?

From Siracusa you could day trip to Taormina & possibly Villa Romana del Casale. Agrigento & Selinunte would require a base further west. We stayed at an agro outside of Menfi & you could day trip to Segesta & Selinunte from there and hit Agrigento on the way.

More details please.

Ian

neckervd Nov 14th, 2014 01:24 AM

There are dirty cheap flights from both, Catania and Trapani to Malta. Those from Palermo are more expensive.
There is also a daily catamaran from Pozzallo to Malta, with a connecting bus to and from Siracusa.

AMV Nov 14th, 2014 03:48 PM

Hello all. We will have a car. Flying in and out of Catania. Don't arrive until the evening. Have a total of 2 weeks. Malta was just a spontaneous thought since I am interested in the Hypogeum and have read so much about Valetta (thank you Dorothy Dunnett). In Sicily, we are considering holding off on Palermo and the NW -- to save for a separate trip. But we are interested in Segesta and Selinunte. Thought if we went to Castelmola we could skip Taormina. So if 2 bases are not adequate, happy to shoot for a third. Recommendations?

kja Nov 14th, 2014 03:56 PM

"we are considering holding off on Palermo and the NW -- to save for a separate trip. But we are interested in Segesta and Selinunte." -- Sagesta and Selinunte would probably make more sense as part of a trip to the western part of the island.

"Thought if we went to Castelmola we could skip Taormina." Castelmola is just above Taormina, a short bus ride or long walk away.